Laptop Running EXTREMELY poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vudew

Ok.. I did a restore on my system a couple weeks ago and since then it has been running extremely sluggishly to start a program up and if I am installing anything, it is very bad.. I mean I cant use anything else at all if I'm installing. Also the sound is well.. dont know how to explain it.. kinda laggy I would say, sorry I am not the best at describing these things. but I also noticed it takes FOREVER to boot up.. like a couple minutes at least, where as before I ran the recovery disk it would be up in a matter of 60 seconds, max. attached is a HJT log. thing that has me worried is I ran AVG anti virus and it says boot sector result/infection as "Change" as well as kernel32 and shell32.. but when it finishes it says everything is clean. but anyways, any and all help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 8
Try going through msconfig (Start - Run - Type: msconfig (Hit Enter)) and select the boot.ini tab. Tick the /SOS checkbox and reboot your laptop. Note if your PC hangs on any system file during start-up.
While you are in msconfig, you could also try disabling and start-ups and services that aren't necessarily important.

Post back with how you go.

ok did that, didnt seem to hang on anything, did come up with a screen that said something about muliprocessor kernel, then it indicated it hadx run a chkdisk or some sort and that everything was ok, also disabled everything in startup. but still took a bit for browser to open, but once it does, it runs fine after that, but still have the sluggishness, like mouse lag and such, and after updating sound drivers, its still all crackly, anyways, thanks in advance

Seems to have improved somewhat, disabling start-ups normally does.
You could also try setting Windows to run for best performance, rather than appearance (Windows may look slightly more .. ugly after this!):

Control Panel - System - Advanced Tab - Under performance: Settings - Under Visual effects, select "adjust for best performance".

That will help quite a lot, however Windows will look a little different. Try clearing out Cache too with a nifty free program I love to use called CleanUp! (Find it here: http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/download.html ).

Well i dont think its that, i have 2gigs RAM, intel centrino duo processor, and ATI Radeon mobility x1400 512MB video card.. it should be able to run windows just fine without having to donw the graphics. but one thing it does seem to do that check disk at every boot.. so that is what is slowing down the boot process is there an option in windows to turn that off or any insight as to what may be causing it? as far as the sound.. its still crackly.. and mozilla takes like 1 min to start up the first time, but after the first start up it is fine. anyways, thanks in advance.

it does not matter what u think windows is going to make a page file. I don't care if u have 4 gig of mem. it will make a page file. u can still check and it will have one (smaller is better than bigger)

yes.. but the shock was wondering where your statements came from, as if we denied that windows made a page file...

The only things running for my username are ctfmon.exe,firefox.exe,ati2evxx.exe,EXPLORER.exe, and taskmgr.exe

Hmmm..... I can think of MANY things in your hijackthis log that arent needed, and will start when you need the program, like media playing programs.
If this is OK with you then I will re-post telling you what you can/should remove.

Have you ran any other Spyware/Virus programs?

I HIGHLY reccomend Spybot S&D, just like most people in these forums would.
Also Ad-Aware SE does well, and I personally use "RegistryFix 5.5" for cleaning my registry. Reg.Fix is the only one of those programs that need paying for, however you can trial it.

Do you do regularly Defrag your PC?

These are just a few things.... ;)

Get back with your opinions.

Thanks

well, i turned everything off in msconfig startup. i defragged the C: drive last night, still have to do the D: drive, but it does seem to be running alot better now. but havnt had a chance to test the sound.

not yet, but i will as soon as i can, and am going to suggest the registry fix program to my boss as we've been looking for a good one for the computers we have here at work. If there is a better one you know of, even if it costs more i would love a link to it. Thanks

Registry Mechanic 4 is a good one ... but I doubt a registry clean will help. When you System Restored this would have reverted your registry and drivers back to the date you restored to.
If it's problems with sound, re-install drivers. When I got you to edit your boot.ini file through msconfig (/SOS), you can disable that checkbox if you already haven't.

How is it all running at this point?

Well, as long as i dont reboot things seem to be running alot better. it only takes forever on the initial load, the sound yes, is still messed up even after updating from acer's website. But it seems to run a chkdisk everytime it boots. but eh.. i've just been setting it to standby when i go home at the end of the day.

Have you run through the check-disk or do you keep canceling or putting it off?
To stop check-disk running at start-up everytime do the following (a registry cleanup may also fix this):
Start - Run - Type: regedit (Hit Enter) - Browse to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager BootExecute

You may find this: autocheck autochk /f * and if so, remove it.

We can't have you not shutting down ... your PC needs to eventually! :grinthumb

sweet! it seems to be running ALOT better now! you're a lifesaver! and also to the person who suggested the reg edit for the chkdisk at startup, that worked too! wee, you guys rox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back