Laptop specs

Laptops are lousy gaming machines due the absence of a decent GPU.
I use my Dell (see profile for specs) for web development all the time and have
Apache, PHP, Perl, MySQL for local testing - - really cool!

Cool man, but I need the mobility and I'm not going for hardcore gaming, just for them 3 games basically. So is the laptop worth it?

Hello I'm going to buy a laptop for webbing, work, streaming movies but mostly gaming.

Hello there! I've done a little review research on the laptop you mentioned (HP Envy 15 - K201) and I found two reviews of hp envy 15 with slightly different configurations:

HP Envy 15 - K010
HP Envy 15 - K230

it appears that the one you're interested in is closer in terms of specs to the K230. basically if you're using it for casual gaming it's fine. but for more intensive gaming session, you're better off with something more high-end.

if specs and gaming are your main concern, I would not recommend a hp envy laptop for gaming. my past experience with an older envy 16 (the one with first-gen i7) reminds me of the downclocked graphics and puny heatsink that result in poor graphic performance whenever the laptop heats up. not to mention the higher price tags just for the "envy" branding.

Judging from the benchmark values listed in the reviews above, it seems that the downclocking routine is still present in modern envy laptops:
3D Mark 13 1920x1080 Fire Strike Standard Graphics
MSI GE70-2PCi785
3596 Points ∼19% +29%
Asus N550JK-CN109H
3085 Points ∼16% +10%
Acer Aspire V5-573G-54218G1Taii
2954 Points ∼15% +6%
HP Envy 15-k010ng

Hello there! I've done a little review research on the laptop you mentioned (HP Envy 15 - K201) and I found two reviews of hp envy 15 with slightly different configurations:

HP Envy 15 - K010
HP Envy 15 - K230

it appears that the one you're interested in is closer in terms of specs to the K230. basically if you're using it for casual gaming it's fine. but for more intensive gaming session, you're better off with something more high-end.

if specs and gaming are your main concern, I would not recommend a hp envy laptop for gaming. my past experience with an older envy 16 (the one with first-gen i7) reminds me of the downclocked graphics and puny heatsink that result in poor graphic performance whenever the laptop heats up. not to mention the higher price tags just for the "envy" branding.

Judging from the benchmark values listed in the reviews above, it seems that the downclocking routine is still present in modern envy laptops:

By 'casual gaming' can it run the games I've specified and some modern games at medium settings such as counter strike?

By 'casual gaming' can it run the games I've specified and some modern games at medium settings such as counter strike?

that envy laptop will do high settings just fine at 1920x1080 resolution for the games you mentioned earlier:
- league of legends
- minecraft
- black ops II
- counter strike

because to be frank those games are neither recent nor very demanding. if you play newer demanding games such as evolve, battlefield hardline and gta v, that laptop may only deliver low-medium settings at 1920x1080 (which is the native resolution for the laptop's display).

I would choose the asus if the price is more competitive, since it uses weaker i5 cpu.

Back