Laptop won't boot up

Deborah30

I reset my laptop to factory settings it erased my hard drive now it won't boot up if I run a Windows 8.1 oc disc I it will it fix it I dont want to take it to a shop to fix it if I can fix it myself with the disk it will save me some money

My laptop is a Toshiba its nearly 2 years old the current os is Windows 8.1 my laptop was running slow and keept freezing so I thought I'd reset it back to factory settings when I did it on my last laptop it worked ok iv Googled my problem and done all what it's says bout change boot order and that but I still can't get it to work

2 years..ever cleaned? Laptops gather dust inside and this can prevent proper cooling. Check YouTube for a video on your model. If you have Win 8.1 on disk, you can probably execute 'repair' from there. If you do not have manual for your laptop, download it from Toshiba support and check what they say about troubleshooting.

When cleaning was mentioned, they're not talking about screen/monitor, they're talking about the inside of laptop. Look at the vent openings, they could be clogged causing it to over heat.

I've done exactly the same thing yet dust is so small it'll still get inside & clog it up. You might need to remove the case to blow out the dust with canned air.

And is there a video I can watch on how to do it I don't want to take the back of and break it I can't afford to buy a new one

I cleaned the inside of my laptop I took the hard drive out cleaned that and all around it but it's still not working I've remembered I copied all the files from the hard drive on my laptop would I be able to use that to fix it and if I can what file would I use and what would it be under

I cleaned the inside of my laptop I took the hard drive out cleaned that and all around it but it's still not working I've remembered I copied all the files from the hard drive on my laptop would I be able to use that to fix it and if I can what file would I use and what would it be under
Hopefully, you found a video which covered your model and you were able to give it a thorough cleaning, especially under the fan shroud and at the ventilation openings.

Please describe in detail what happens when you start your machine.What sounds do you hear? What appears on screen? Can you reach BIOS? Does it boot Windows?

It would also be useful to know the exact model of Toshiba laptop and what OS installation and/or repair disks that you have.

Lastly, what is your intended use for the laptop - email?, documents?, videos?, gaming?

It starts up then goes to the toshiba page then it comes up reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press any key I can get on to bios iv tryed changing the order of the device but still nothing happens it just starts again the toshiba page comes up then it comes up with the reboot and select proper boot device and that it doesn't boot Windows I have I have Windows 8.1 and I have a toshiba c50-b-15z no recovery disks I use my laptop for emails internet downloading videos music storage of photos

Please confirm,

you can insert charger to support the time it takes to do repair/installation and

you can access BIOS and

when in BIOS you can see both the HDD and the CD drive listed by the BIOS as being recognized and operational and

you can change boot order to CD Drive first and

you can insert bootable media (like the Windows 8.1 install disk) and

when you save and exit BIOS that nothing happens and it loops back to 'toshiba' page? (ouch)

Can you access repair by trying to restart windows 2 or 3 times in succession?

What can you access by using "F12" during the startup?

Do you have the manual and can you double check what they describe for accessing recovery?

You have a European or UK machine and I am wondering if it is different from what we see in the states.

Yes I can insert charger I can get on to BIOS and see both hdd and cd drive I can change boot order I haven't got a recovery disk at mo the bios comes up by pressing f2 uk machine I can check the manual yes

I've just looked at my manual and it dosnt rely say any thing about accessing recovery it say about creating recovery media and pre-installed software

Check Chapter 6 Troubleshooting - review whole chapter...

In Section 3, "The computer will not load advanced options" - last on list shows how to run recovery.

Iv download Windows 8.1 installed it my laptop comes on now and works I can't connect to my wireless network where can I turn wireless on my laptop

Congratulations on installing Win 8.1

WiFi
Press the Windows key + D on your keyboard to show the Desktop.
Right-click the Network icon located at the bottom-right corner of the Desktop then click Open Network and Sharing Center.
Click Set up a new connection or network.
Select Manually connect to a wireless network then click the button.
Enter the details of the wireless network you want to connect to then, click Next.
Click Close.

Not working for you? Then see ==> http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-fix-windows-8-1-wi-fi-issues/

When all working, make a restore point.
When all working and all updates in place, make another restore point AND make a repair disk.

Back