Laptop wont start. bios problem .

I have a strange prolbem. Laptop realy slow to open- proc to bios - but when it does, laptop works fine.
It can take from 5 min to 2+ hours to proc bios...
I changed cmos battery but problem still on. (*old batery was empty and clock was losing its time , now its ok).
Laptop is - Toshiba Satelite A300 -
Any ideas ? Is mobo faulty ?
Thanks !

It is slow 4 sure, sometimes it never start, but it has nothing to do with windows ( I suppose ).
The problem exists until the bios start-up, I mean the page where the message "Press F2 to enter setup" appears.
If pc manages to pass this tab/screen it works perfect.
Thanks 4 ur time.

Win 7, 32bit. I 'll test drivers and this software as soon as my laptop open .
I'll answer if I have -or not any luck .

Hi there,
The other issue you have is that your laptop is going to be 9 years old and it's a Toshiba. Those rarely last more than 5-6 years these days. Statistically, the hard drive if you've never replaced it or paid someone to replace it has probably failed. Hard drives fail much more often in older laptops than Mobos do. Hard drives are only designed to last 2 years and then begin to fail. I would recommend you test the hard drive or pay to have that done by a Tech and replace if found bad. You might get 1-2 years on that laptop after a hard drive replacement, but it's more likely that the Mobo will fail next (like tomorrow) and you'll need to replace the laptop with something newer very soon.
Techs rarely replace a Mobo as it is the most expensive part in the laptop. Hard drives are relatively cheap (usually $50-$100). Those are typically replaced first, and then if diagnostics indicate it the Mobo is replaced as a last resort.

Hope that helps you.
PCTEACHER05

IMO, there are too many startup programs FOR ALL MS systems, and too many phoning-home at every boot looking for the current update from yesterday, the day before, .... every day 24/7.

Being on a laptop, my battery is precious and I don't want ANY updates when roaming - - wastes my time, battery and has unknown security.

As a test for the phone-home issue, disconnect from the router (pull the rj45 from wired connection) and disable wifi on the PC and then reboot. There should be an improvement in getting to the desktop.

Hi there,
The other issue you have is that your laptop is going to be 9 years old and it's a Toshiba. Those rarely last more than 5-6 years these days. Statistically, the hard drive if you've never replaced it or paid someone to replace it has probably failed. Hard drives fail much more often in older laptops than Mobos do. Hard drives are only designed to last 2 years and then begin to fail.
I've found HDs to be, on the whole, quite reliable. My Dell laptop just celebrated its 8th birthday without hardware issues. My prior Toshiba ran 5yrs and yes, that failed on the HD, so I upgraded to a 64bit Win/7 Pro.

IMO, The MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is in the 5yr range depending upon the brand and the manufacturing run.

Back