Laptop won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
A steak, yes i said a steak, was dropped on the keyboard of my laptop. It was removed ASAP and cleaned off but now the laptop won't turn on. The lights will turn on for about 3 seconds then go off and you get nothing more. Did something get fried? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!

A laptop question belongs in the "Mobile Computing" forum... I wish I got a penny for everytime I wrote this ;) How big was the steak? Was it blood or other cooking fluids that met the keyboard? It's too late now but you should have immediately turned the laptop upside down, open on a towel and let it sit for a while. What did you use to clean the keyboard?

It wasn't blood, it was more so grease, but it also wasn't a lot and it on landed on part of the keyboard, like from G left, and even then it wasn't on all the keys. I wiped it off with a towel. Then i used a type of wipe that is for electronics to clean anything that was left on the keyboard, like a windex wipe only for electronics. Could I have possibly locked the computer somehow by hitting a combination of keys?

not exactly sure how to pop the keyboard out, we took some of the keys off last night and the majority of what was under then was just some dust very little steak bits.

What is the make and model number of this laptop? Be specific on the model number. You would be surprized on just how far liquids can ooze or travel into a laptop. You said it won't power on now, so we will have to look around the power switch area... The make and model number will allow us to find the service manual online. This will tell us how to remove the keyboard for further inspection

It's a dell inspiron 8600. i just tried to turn it on, and i came all the way on and i made it to my desktop and then it shut itself off. I tried to turn it back on and it won't turn on once again.

Was it pork, beef, mutton, kangaru, or Tofu?
If the steak landed on your laptop while it was running, it likely ruined the hard drive.
Try installing another hard drive, and I'll bet it will work just fine. You may have difficulty in recovering the data. If this new hard drive works, install the old hard drive as a slave in a USB enclosure. you have a 67 percent of recovering everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back