Large Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfersaiyan

quick question, and i'm sure i deserve a quick answer! some might say i should have looked around a bit more and maybe i would have found the answer.. but i'm a bit fragile today, and remember, 'there's no such thing as stupid questions; just stupid people.'

here goes; with regards to putting a large hard drive in my laptop which is the most important factor to recognising the drive, bios or service pack? (or both).

i have xp pro sp2 (also access to sp3) and i bought a 120gb drive to be safe (and it works fine), but i just wonder if it would recognise a bigger drive than that.

Basically pay close attention to the laptops specs, for hard drive type (eIDE, SATA) and rotational speed. Also, the higher the speed and capacity, the hotter the drive runs. Heat is an enemy of a laptop. You already know how hot they run normally... I've installed 250GB drives, successfully

thanx magic. but i think i'm just wondering if i put in a 250gb will it only come up as a 127? what is it that makes my laptop recognise a bigger drive, is it the bios or the service pack or both?

If you have sp2 then the service pack wont be an issue, the BIOS is always going to be a factor and you will have to configure (or have it auto-configure) that drive in the BIOS as a 250gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back