Larian will develop another Divinity: Original Sin game, but not anytime soon

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Critics have hailed Divinity: Original Sin 2 as one of the best CRPGs in recent memory. However, developer Larian Studios chose to follow it up with a sequel to BioWare's "Baldur's Gate" franchise. Fans hoping for another "Divinity" title can be confident that Larian plans to revisit the franchise that established their reputation. However, they will need to be patient.

In an interview with IGN, Larian Studios confirmed its plans to eventually continue the Divinity: Original Sin series, but not before taking a creative break. The company's next release, Baldur's Gate 3, ships on August 3 for PC and September 6 for PlayStation 5.

Larian head Swen Vincke said the company's roughly 400 employees will need to refresh themselves creatively, suggesting a general pause or work on a completely different project. Upon Baldur's Gate 3's release, Larian will have shipped four titles in 10 years, most of them deep RPGs.

The company's first game was Divine Divinity, released in 2002 and quickly followed by Beyond Divinity in 2004. Larian would ship Divinity II five years later, at which point it took somewhat of a break from CRPGs. The company released the strategy game Divinity: Dragon Command in 2013 before returning to the CRPG scene with the first Divinity: Original Sin the following year. Larian also spent time between its major titles making edutainment games for the European market, like Monkey Tales and Superia.

However, it was Divinity: Original Sin 2 that earned the developer particularly high praise upon its 2017 release. It maintains a 93 Metacritic score and an "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating on Steam. GameSpot gave it a perfect score, calling it one of the most captivating RPGs ever made.

After releasing enhanced updates to both Original Sin titles on PC and consoles, Larian revealed Baldur's Gate 3 – the follow-up to BioWare's seminal turn-of-the-century Dungeons & Dragons CRPGs. The latest entry's Early Access period started in 2020 and ends next week.

Earlier this month, a final community update from Larian extensively covered various gameplay features that will be available when Baldur's Gate 3 launches. It detailed more character creation options, multiclassing, respeccing, alchemy, romance, and split-screen co-op. Moreover, the company revealed a new major villain and the final main party member.

Larian also plans to release Baldur's Gate 3 on Xbox but is struggling to get split-screen running on the Xbox One S.

Permalink to story.

I was hoping they would have kept on with Fallen Heroes....

Oh well. Baldur's Gate 3 officially launches soon and I'm certain my brother and I will sink a solid 250+ hours into it like we did with DOS:2. On gameplay time for me I hit nearly 400 hours (385 hours, according to GoG Galaxy) and my brother hit 260 hours. We both have 100 hours into the first DOS game.

I'd love to see a new entry in the series.

Back