Latest Gran Turismo 7 patch relies more on microtransactions, and gamers are pissed

Jimmy2x

Staff
Facepalm: The Gran Turismo series is unquestionably one of the most popular driving simulators ever released. The launch of GT7 was received favorably by critics, viewing it as a departure from previous efforts and a return to the game's true roots. Despite the praise, players are absolutely panning Sony's driving masterpiece on Metacritic for changes and features introduced with the game's most recent patch.

The recent criticism by GT7 players isn't a result of poorly designed visuals, control, or game physics. On the contrary, most would say GT7 is as polished as one would expect, delivering eye-catching graphics, sound, and a level of control that lets players feel like they're in the driver's seat. Instead, the low-ranking user scores continue to pile up due to Sony's latest patch, which increased reliance on microtransactions and significantly ramped up the difficulty to earn credits in the game.

Credits are the currency of the Gran Turismo world, and historically players could grind races to earn amounts sufficient to expand their garage—at least until Patch 1.07, which has since adjusted the rewards for 18 different races that players previously frequented to fill their in-game bank account. This reward adjustment makes credits much harder to earn, putting many of the game's higher-end cars out of reach to anyone not willing to purchase credits via the game's microtransaction system or spend up to 20 hours grinding for a single vehicle.

The change did not sit well with the PlayStation exclusive's fanbase, with many seeing it as nothing but a cash grab by Sony and Polyphony Digital. As of publication, the game's Metacritic user score sits at a dismal 2.2, officially underachieving some of Sony's previous worst-score holders, including World of Warriors (2.9) and the PSP's NBA 10 The Inside (3.0). The negative reviews were further fueled by an unplanned outage earlier this week that made the game mostly unplayable for nearly 24 hours.

Those players who don't want to spend literal days of their life earning one vehicle can buy in-game credits for real money, though the price may vary depending on geographic location. Regardless of location, rest assured the hottest wheels in the game won't come cheap. Players can expect to pay up to 20 million credits for some of the game's legendary cars.

With in-game currency valued at $19.99 per 2,000,000 credits in the US, these legendaries have a real-world equivalent value of $200 each. It's a move akin to EA's Battlefront II fiasco in 2017 when players calculated that unlocking all the base-game content would take 4,528 hours of gameplay or $2,100 in microtransactions. In that case, fan blowback caused EA to halt all microtransactions and rethink its monetization strategy. We'll have to wait to see how Sony and Polyphony handle the GT7 review bombing.

Permalink to story.

1. Game reviewers should officially rescind their prior reviews and issue new ones reflecting the actual pricing / availability of cars. (Studio and dev contracts can include compensation clauses based on metacritic scores.)

2. Any consumer who wants but is denied a refund should contact their jurisdiction's dept of consumer affairs.

3. Hopefully at least one department gets around to investigating with subpoena power, and we can learn how long ago this bait and switch was planned.

I just checked the price of the game - it's not cheap .
Are these companies run by ****** I will just add stars before TS does .
micro - transactions can work -if skins etc I suppose.
I could think up some ways for actually cars .
Less grinding - You give a free car every month - so only whales get them early - as they will all come eventually ( could even be timed from install date ) .
I mean just unique skins should rake in a lot of money for a popular game .

I used to buy my son flowers on PvsZ for results at school when 5 or 6 .
That is now a rip off - when he went from Android to Ipad( for school ) - only plants paid with real money transfer ( ones bought with gems may not - yet gems can be bought with money )- yet ones earnt in game do not . The cost of plants now is stupid when I last looked out of curiosity - My son has moved on - if he plays it - it's can you beat a level only 3 plants - or no sunflowers or whatever.

Plus why does the game play have to reflect the real world? - Look at me , look at me I can spend thousands - I'm rich - rich/poor divide is sadly getting bigger - folks don't need it in games for getting Cars or tracks etc .

Also this is Silly as is Sony's show piece - so bad optics ( supermarkets do it smart - they make the popular compare lists cheaper and hit you on the other stuff )

RIP GT7. Just another reminder of how overt monetization has absolutely ruined modern gaming. Everyone who bought this game should be demanding a refund.

Sadly they will not, as gamers are some of the biggest consoomers on the planet, and I'd bet that GT7 will be the most profitable game int he series history by a country mile.
1. Game reviewers should officially rescind their prior reviews and issue new ones reflecting the actual pricing / availability of cars. (Studio and dev contracts can include compensation clauses based on metacritic scores.)
Game "journalists" are pozzed soybois. Being critical of big daddy sony will NEVER happen on any sort of scale.

What I don't understand is, why risk the wrath of lowering prize reward. If you have to lower something, you better do something to make other things higher in value. Different but not entirely different, Elden Ring. They nerfed some attacks, and but buffed other things in latest update, people aren't pissed. You can't take away things without giving something back

What is amusing is the outrage of the microtransactions, because they had it in GT Sport (and GT6 too I believe). The problem with their MT has been the lack of value of the bought credits, especially in GTS as cars were easy to get. I understand that they wanted to maximise their MT profits this time round, but a far easier way to do that is actually drop the price of the MT, making it a lot more palatable for people to spend money on it. Nature of racing games is that is pretty hard to be accused of pay-to-win anyway, so why not just drop the price? You also can't be a "car collecting game" by making a lot of the cars prohibitively expensive to get.

To me there's two separate issues in this story:
1) the microtransactions as they are now
2) the fact they were significantly less expensive for launch and launch reviews, just two weeks ago.

#1 sounds crappy to me but if the prices were disclosed at launch, this would just be a standard case of consumers free to vote with their wallets.

#2 is what I think is potentially actionable, it sounds like it is a bait-and-switch in substance even if they've somehow found a legal loophole to allow it.

It's tough because of course online games need to be able to fix bugs and balance and otherwise change over time, but there's got to be a line between natural evolution and an intentional effort to mislead players so they buy the game thinking the prices are X but in reality they are much different Y just two weeks later.

It's one thing trying to balance an game's online economy due to glitch exploits and another permanently reducing the prizes awarded in twenty or so AI races after the game has launched.

The credit cost of many cars is also exorbitant, I noted this on launch how some previously popular cars are enormously expensive now. Added to custom races having mediocre payouts even with high difficulty and endurance lengths. The cynic in me says this is all to encourage the already inflated microtransaction prices, much higher than previous games.

With this recent action it's just too much combined to be anything else. GT games always needed a bit of grinding. I don't think everyone should be able to buy every car 5 minutes in. That was the way. But it does appear that Polyphony are actively restricting the attainability of the better vehicles with specific intent to generate more cash.

Ah ah ah...you boys having too much fun at OUR expense...no no no

Their reply to complaints will be...We are always updating our games based on user input....

They make you pay 100 dollars for a triple A game, that sometimes comes broken needing patches from day one... Or even worst, some features ask you to buy the "Godly Platinum Full Bundle" in pre sale, that costs 100% more... Then you get a overpriced game, if we be luck enough it won't be broken like many triple A littles are releasing nowadays... Then they release an half-*ssed DLC/Season pass so you can access a little bit more of content... Meanwhile the game breaking bugs may still be there.

Then they "infect" it choke full of microtransactions... Sure you can do some work to improve the life time of your game and make it more relevant for more time, but developers are loosing the grip of it and breaking the game...

Want to go heavy on microtransaction, please, make the entry point low (like 30 bucks I can understand...) or make it free... Don't kill your own game with stupid "design" decisions. Skyrim still relevant because it was a good game... If it had microtransactions it would had died after 5 years, max.

I bought my first PlayStation console in years just for GT7.
Anyone want a 2 week old PS5 and GT7?

MSRP ($560) minus 10% shipped. PM me. FCFS.

EDIT -
Sheesh! Sold.
Plenty of people absolutely ready to let Sony rip right through their wallets to their very soul if need be... So no wonder! lol

Sony has really become something else and it's exactly why I said them staying on top for so long was a huge loss to consumers (least those with half a brain).

I got a ps5 but Sony will never get ANYTHING out of me but the bare minimum and with each and every chance I get I spend my money elsewhere.

No ps+... Buy games physical day 1 beat them quick and sell them for most my money back.

Outside the console (which let's be real I can get most if not all that money back at any time) I'm giving them nothing and taking anything and everything I can.

I don't feel bad about it in the slightest either.

Not when the CONTINUE to try and milk their success for EVERYTHING they possibly can!

RIP GT7. Just another reminder of how overt monetization has absolutely ruined modern gaming. Everyone who bought this game should be demanding a refund.

Sadly they will not, as gamers are some of the biggest consoomers on the planet, and I'd bet that GT7 will be the most profitable game int he series history by a country mile.
Game "journalists" are pozzed soybois. Being critical of big daddy sony will NEVER happen on any sort of scale.
Sorry I call bs many of the reviewers I've watched are totally pissed about Sony pulling this stuff and have went back and added addendums and such where they can.

Ultimately their livelihood does depend on certain algorithmic results to fall into place at the right time so they tend to be forced to not make a full proper review but I'm seeing many of the ones I follow starting to use the therm "review in progress" and ABSOLUTELY leaving themselves open to going back an changing anything they need to before finalizing.

If I owned a playstation 5 and this game I would be really pissed..
I'm glad unlikke almost all other Sony 1st party titles I wanted to play on my ps5 I didn't go out and grab this one on day 1.

I knew something was up and my gut told me to wait and I'm glad mm did.

Even though my normal plan already has me buying them on disc beating and then selling all within a couple days / weeks of the launch (therefor able to sell it for almost nearly what I paid for it) I had a feeling thag this game would...

1) be so grindy and repetitive without any real feeling of "beating" that I wouldn't be done with for a LONG time.

2) even if I gave in and just sold it early without ever beating it that NO ONE would actually want it once the truth of the game being his OK (and likley film of crao EXACTLY like this) got out.

Im not saying in clairvoyant or anything but....

I really do have a nose for this type of thing.

Ikk spend some money on mtx I'm not agaknatg them "in total"... Not at all.

But when they come with these type of scummy tactics ESPECIALLY from a full price (and Sony full priced mind you so even higher) game I'm super not down with giving you a cent!

They make you pay 100 dollars for a triple A game, that sometimes comes broken needing patches from day one... Or even worst, some features ask you to buy the "Godly Platinum Full Bundle" in pre sale, that costs 100% more... Then you get a overpriced game, if we be luck enough it won't be broken like many triple A littles are releasing nowadays... Then they release an half-*ssed DLC/Season pass so you can access a little bit more of content... Meanwhile the game breaking bugs may still be there.

Then they "infect" it choke full of microtransactions... Sure you can do some work to improve the life time of your game and make it more relevant for more time, but developers are loosing the grip of it and breaking the game...

Want to go heavy on microtransaction, please, make the entry point low (like 30 bucks I can understand...) or make it free... Don't kill your own game with stupid "design" decisions. Skyrim still relevant because it was a good game... If it had microtransactions it would had died after 5 years, max.
They don't "make" anybody do anything.

Gamers keep lining up for the abuse of microtransactions, preorders, broken servers, etc.

Publishers are going to push the limits as long as gullible fanboys keep pouring money into their pockets.

Sorry I call bs many of the reviewers I've watched are totally pissed about Sony pulling this stuff and have went back and added addendums and such where they can.

Ultimately their livelihood does depend on certain algorithmic results to fall into place at the right time so they tend to be forced to not make a full proper review but I'm seeing many of the ones I follow starting to use the therm "review in progress" and ABSOLUTELY leaving themselves open to going back an changing anything they need to before finalizing.
I'd love for this to be true, but I haven't seen it happen that reviewers dock scores after release.

Gamers getting another wake up call that these software companies are not your friends, they only want your money.

Why this sort of stuff still comes as a surprise to them, befuddles me.

I don't understand why it ever got good reviews - its exactly the same game as GT Sport just made a bit more pretty. Same tracks, same presentation and same **** physics... The hype train on this title has gone into overdrive.

Micro transactions are likely here to stay. Game developers realised for the effort they put into developing a game, they certainly do not want it to be a 1 time income for them. So they have been selling DLC and all sorts of extras to try and earn more. GT was a highly anticipated title for Sony’s PS ecosystem, and sadly have also come to such a state, which I guess will be a matter of time.

Back