Latest Nexus 9 rumors suggest Nvidia Shield-like tablet hardware

Scorpus

Staff member

A couple of months ago the first bits of information leaked out regarding a HTC-made 9-inch Nexus tablet, codenamed 'Volantis', with Nvidia Tegra K1 internals. New details surrounding the upcoming tablet have surfaced, claiming its hardware might be similar to that of Nvidia's recently-released Shield Tablet.

The rumors suggest the tablet will come with a 8.9-inch display packing a resolution of 1920 x 1200, or possibly 2560 x 1600. It'll also pack Nvidia's 64-bit variant of their Tegra K1 SoC, with two custom-made Denver CPU cores as well as their mobile Kepler GPU, alongside 4 GB of RAM.

Strangely, the leaks suggested the Nvidia SoC will be paired with a Qualcomm MDM9x25 LTE modem in the cellular model. The Shield Tablet uses an Nvidia-made Icera i500 modem, but HTC may choose to ditch what naturally should be a perfect pair for the Nvidia SoC in favor of a Qualcomm chip.

Other rumored specifications include an 8-megapixel rear camera using Sony's IMX219 sensor, and a 1.6-megapixel OV970 front-facing unit. There will also allegedly be NFC inside, plus it'll run Android L when it launches later this year.

Basically the tablet sounds like an upgraded version of the Shield Tablet, packing bleeding edge components into a high-end 9-inch device. By all accounts the Shield Tablet is already very powerful, so this could be the Android tablet to look out for in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

I think NVIDIA has finally got enough attention for their Tegra chips with the K1; I read also about an Acer Chromebook with the K1. Props for NVIDIA.

I wonder why they are ditching the budget tablet idea. Putting that type of power into a tablet is sure to raise the price. I won't be surprised if this is a high-end variant.

I wonder why they are ditching the budget tablet idea. Putting that type of power into a tablet is sure to raise the price. I won't be surprised if this is a high-end variant.

Are you certain they're ditching the cheap tablet thing? Google has a habit of pricing their phones and tablets as cheap as possible. The last Nexus tablet had pretty good specs when it came out and it was $230 bucks. I wouldn't be surprised to see this tablet cost $250.

As a guy living near Cambridge it makes me feel proud that ARM's business model allows a company to put there own stamp on there CPU'S allowing the customers to gain the benefits of choice and innovation at a low cost. I only wish desktop CPU company's had the same attitude, although I realize ARM aren't in the silicone game for peanuts I like there business model which allows nexus and other companies so much freedom to improve or utilize there product at a price point that the customer gains.

This will ship with Android L which brings 64 bit support. Nexus devices often launch with a new version of the OS.

Another step on the inevitable road to a convertible device future. Touchscreens with attached keyboards (wireless, slider or flip-over) will be the standard. Ironically, the Surface could have been the real pioneer in this regard if it wasn't so overpriced and handicapped with a garbage OS.

Back