Latest report on graphics card market: Ampere prices rise, availability remains poor

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: Are you hoping to get a shiny new, or dirty second-hand, graphics card for the holidays? You might want to think about something else. The latest GPU pricing and availability report for Germany and Austria, which gives a good indication of global trends, shows the situation isn’t improving. The RTX 3000 series’ average price keeps on rising, and while the Radeon RX 6000 line is getting slightly cheaper, there’s a simple explanation as to why.

As usual, the survey of Ampere/RDNA 2 cards comes from German publication 3DCenter. At first glance, we see that the Radeon RX 6000 series has fallen from 101% above MSRP to 90%. This might seem like good news, but the cards themselves aren’t actually getting cheaper; it’s because retailers have received shipments of non-XT RX 6800 cards, lowering the average price of the whole line.

There’s no ambiguity about the average price of Nvidia’s latest cards. Ampere has been on the rise since August 8 and now sits at 95% above MSRP. It’s also the first time that team green’s products have been more expensive than AMD’s since July 18.

Looking at the painful subject of availability, Nvidia has seen no changes since the previous report arrived in early November, with the RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080 Ti on four-star ratings as the rest of Ampere languishes on just three stars.

AMD’s availability has seen a minor change: the Radeon 6900 XT still has a four-star rating but the RX 6800 has gone from one star to two. The rest of the line is rated 3/5.

The depressingly familiar scenario is repeated in the second-hand market. Our examination of card prices on eBay shows Ampere up 6% and RDNA 2 up 9%. Even older generations are getting more expensive; the Nvidia 20 series (+6%), 16 series (+5%), and 10 series (+7%) all saw price hikes between October and November. The Radeon 5000 series was also up, by 9%.

MSRP eBay Average Price September eBay Average Price October eBay Average Price November Current Price Inflation Price Increase October to November
GeForce RTX 3090 $1,500 $2,863 $2,818 $3,107 107% 10%
GeForce RTX 3080 Ti $1,200 $1,880 $1,851 $1,916 60% 4%
GeForce RTX 3080 $700 $1,673 $1,534 $1,584 126% 3%
GeForce RTX 3070 Ti $600 $1,191 $1,151 $1,227 104% 7%
GeForce RTX 3070 $500 $1,180 $1,121 $1,170 134% 4%
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti $400 $866 $860 $946 136% 10%
GeForce RTX 3060 $330 $708 $692 $739 124% 7%
        Average  113% 6%

We all know that the chip shortage is the primary reason behind the card crisis, but the seemingly ever-increasing price of cryptos such as Bitcoin and Ethereum is another major factor. The upcoming holiday season is also influencing both prices and availability as people scramble to grab parts to upgrade their rigs in time for Christmas.

When will things get back to normal? Nobody can say for sure. The optimistic view is the second half of next year, while others believe 2023 is more of a realistic target.

Permalink to story.

I said it a year ago and I’ll say it again…welcome to the world of inflation, gen-xer’s. This is what it was like to live in the 70’s when you waited 3 hours in line for 4 gallons of rationed gasoline on “odd” days. When the federal government took 70-80% of your income as taxes. If you have been drinking the Cool-Aid and convinced yourself that this is all due to some sort of global “chip shortage” and things will get better once nickel miners in Peru get back to work, then you must be brain-dead. This life is here to stay until we get another Ronald Reagan back in the White House. Enjoy your coal-burning EVs (yes folks, that’s where electricity comes from)

Chip shortage, what chip shortage?

Chip shortage is a Lie, there would have been no chip shortage if it wasn't for the miners buying up all available stock.

It is not possible for all the fabs in the world to satisfy the market demand created by Miners who buy GPUs and use them as money printers.

In other news, the Season is gettin' closer which means that ppl like that one guy who posts here will go out and buy 5-6 GPUs just b/c they can.

I predict that GPUs will hit an all-time price high in December.

I said it a year ago and I’ll say it again…welcome to the world of inflation, gen-xer’s. This is what it was like to live in the 70’s when you waited 3 hours in line for 4 gallons of rationed gasoline on “odd” days. When the federal government took 70-80% of your income as taxes. If you have been drinking the Cool-Aid and convinced yourself that this is all due to some sort of global “chip shortage” and things will get better once nickel miners in Peru get back to work, then you must be brain-dead. This life is here to stay until we get another Ronald Reagan back in the White House. Enjoy your coal-burning EVs (yes folks, that’s where electricity comes from)
Tbf Regan is the reason wage stagnation is a thing.

#1. It’s CHRISTMAS SHOPPING season which means higher sales of PC, consoles, etc.

Availability decrease was inevitable.

#2. Scalpers

#3 Crypto PONZI scam miners

#4. Supply chain issues

Fortunately, NVIDIA is addressing this with their Geforce streaming which will allow players to play games without the expensive hardware!

All governments are to blame for the shutdowns that took place, they all fu¢ked over the economy. Forced a shutdown and then still expected things to keep moving like they normally do and when people are panicked, they do stupid $hit - such as hoarding unnecessary things like toilet paper.

As for gasoline - Biden is the reason gas is high. Biden put a stop to fracking, offshore drilling and construction of the oil pipeline....he backed off a lot things that was allowing the US to be self sufficient with oil. He put us back on depending on the middle east again and the middle east jacked up the cost and we've been feeling it at the pumps once he took office. Now he wants to use US oil reserves to try and "alleviate" some of the high prices being felt across the country due to his failures on this aspect.....what a di¢k.

With that aside, there hasn't been a chip shortage. There's been a glutton for mining and it doesn't help that Nvidia and AMD (regardless of what they tell us) are selling pallets of GPUs directly to miners or theft is causing the loss of some GPUs, too. Otherwise, why is it so hard for everyday gamers to obtain a decently priced GPU? If thousands upon thousands of GPUs that have found their way to miners have been actually available through retailers, there would be no artificial shortage of GPUs for gamers. Many gamers would have had a chance to get one instead of being in the situation we're in now.

On the other hand there are a lot of available GPUs out there to buy for gamers, but I'd say 98% of them are way overpriced due to scalping that comes people trying to make a quick extra buck and also from a lot of retailers. I'm not sure if retailers are just looking to make an extra buck, too, or if they're actually getting taken over the barrel from AIB manufacturers and being overcharged so they in return have to up prices to make a profit.....

Nvidia and AMD are happy being able to sell every GPU they make to miners who buy as many GPUs as they can afford. It's a transaction in which you as a gamer are not included.

I can't help but notice how common these articles are when the conclusion is always the same, situation for the past two years - ****ed.

Tbf Regan is the reason wage stagnation is a thing.
Wage stagnations started in 1972. Regan was elected in 1981. There were many causes of wage stagnation, not just 1 president. From oil embargos, the destruction of the american auto industry, vast influx of cheap illigal alien labor, reagonomics cutting taxes at the high end, bill clionton signing NAFTA, Globalization in general, ece.

#1. It’s CHRISTMAS SHOPPING season which means higher sales of PC, consoles, etc.

Availability decrease was inevitable.

#2. Scalpers

#3 Crypto PONZI scam miners

#4. Supply chain issues

Fortunately, NVIDIA is addressing this with their Geforce streaming which will allow players to play games without the expensive hardware!
PONZI scam miners? Hopefully you are not getting mad at the FREE MARKET and what it is doing to address inequitable stock exchanges, right? That would be pretty hypocritical of you Quantum.
Chip shortage, what chip shortage?

Chip shortage is a Lie, there would have been no chip shortage if it wasn't for the miners buying up all available stock.

It is not possible for all the fabs in the world to satisfy the market demand created by Miners who buy GPUs and use them as money printers.

In other news, the Season is gettin' closer which means that ppl like that one guy who posts here will go out and buy 5-6 GPUs just b/c they can.

I predict that GPUs will hit an all-time price high in December.
All governments are to blame for the shutdowns that took place, they all fu¢ked over the economy. Forced a shutdown and then still expected things to keep moving like they normally do and when people are panicked, they do stupid $hit - such as hoarding unnecessary things like toilet paper.

As for gasoline - Biden is the reason gas is high. Biden put a stop to fracking, offshore drilling and construction of the oil pipeline....he backed off a lot things that was allowing the US to be self sufficient with oil. He put us back on depending on the middle east again and the middle east jacked up the cost and we've been feeling it at the pumps once he took office. Now he wants to use US oil reserves to try and "alleviate" some of the high prices being felt across the country due to his failures on this aspect.....what a di¢k.

With that aside, there hasn't been a chip shortage. There's been a glutton for mining and it doesn't help that Nvidia and AMD (regardless of what they tell us) are selling pallets of GPUs directly to miners or theft is causing the loss of some GPUs, too. Otherwise, why is it so hard for everyday gamers to obtain a decently priced GPU? If thousands upon thousands of GPUs that have found their way to miners have been actually available through retailers, there would be no artificial shortage of GPUs for gamers. Many gamers would have had a chance to get one instead of being in the situation we're in now.

On the other hand there are a lot of available GPUs out there to buy for gamers, but I'd say 98% of them are way overpriced due to scalping that comes people trying to make a quick extra buck and also from a lot of retailers. I'm not sure if retailers are just looking to make an extra buck, too, or if they're actually getting taken over the barrel from AIB manufacturers and being overcharged so they in return have to up prices to make a profit.....
Absolutely the "chip shortage" is a cover for the busted transportation system and the mining boom. I've said it before, but if there is a "shortage" of hardware, AMD and nvidia wouldnt be printing record quarters.

It's not a shortage, its a breakdown of the supply chain and parasitic consumption by miners. If the administration gets its way and starts pushing that 46% tax on crypto earning we may finally see a major slowdown.

My theory for proof of stake for etherium is a simple on switch at this point awaiting for legislation to pass on regulations especially due to to high carbon footprint proof of work uses. If they are not forced they will keep on prolonging it. That said even with Etherium going to proof of stake there is still an endless pit of new cryptocurrencies to mine popping up every day. The backlog is more than a year now.
Great article read on what happened to all those banned mining rigs in Ch!na.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-B...igation-reveals-where-they-went.580848.0.html

I’m moving abroad permanently and therefore I need to sell my PC. So this is all great news for me. It’s effectively going to have cost me very little to play games on an RTX card during the lockdown for the last couple of years.

Im moving to Malta and whilst it would be nice to take a gaming PC with me from icy England, it’s just not necessary. Il stick to my switch lite for a bit of Skyrim in bed when I’ve got a hangover.

Anybody in the U.K. after an RTX2080? Ryzen 5800X?

Back