Latest Windows 10 build brings 'Ultimate Performance' mode for professional users

Polycount

Staff

If you're a professional working in the world of 3D modeling or other similarly performance-hungry tasks, you may already have a pretty beefy system. However, squeezing every last drop of power out of your system is still a worthwhile pursuit.

With the latest Windows 10 preview build, that is exactly what Microsoft is aiming to help you do. If you're running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and don't mind your system eating up some additional electricity, Insiders who have opted into the program's "Fast" ring -- allowing them to receive features faster than regular Insiders -- will now be able to test a new Windows 10 power scheme called "Ultimate Performance."

“This new policy builds on the current High-Performance policy, and it goes a step further to eliminate micro-latencies associated with fine grained power management techniques. The Ultimate Performance Power plan is selectable either by an OEM on new systems or selectable by a user.”

Ultimate Performance is geared towards workstation PCs, allowing users to reach the "Absolute maximum performance" their machines are capable of by making trade-offs in power consumption. If you value the lifespan of your components and don't want to tax them too hard, however, it may be best to avoid heavy Ultimate Performance use for the time being.

If you want to use the new option regardless, simply visit your rig's Power Options settings page to activate it. Microsoft has not yet stated what sort of performance gains users can expect to receive upon turning the mode on.

If you're having a hard time keeping track of all the Windows 10 editions out there, we won't blame you for that. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations was introduced last year aimed at server grade PC hardware and power users. The OS runs ReFS (Resilient File System) and scales up for machines with a high number of logical processors and large amounts of RAM.

Permalink to story.

Would be curious to learn more technical details about how it achieves this. It will also be a good thing to benchmark - Any gains for gamers? What tasks will actually benefit from this? Or maybe it's just a placebo button that makes minimal difference?

It would be halarious if this "Ultimate Power Plan" used more power because it was crypto-mining in the background. Can you imagine? LOL

If anyone caught my now deleted post it was because I use Win 10 Pro NOT Win 10 Pro for Workstations. Reading fail on my part

Would be curious to learn more technical details about how it achieves this. It will also be a good thing to benchmark - Any gains for gamers? What tasks will actually benefit from this? Or maybe it's just a placebo button that makes minimal difference?

This is a feature specific to " Windows 10 Pro for Workstations", gamers won't be running this version of Windows. This version of Windows is designed for "workstations", which are basically desktops with server grade hardware.

This is a feature specific to " Windows 10 Pro for Workstations", gamers won't be running this version of Windows. This version of Windows is designed for "workstations", which are basically desktops with server grade hardware.

Duh doy, yup, good call. I swear I can read usually...

"If you value the lifespan of your components and don't want to tax them too hard"

lol wut? I know of numerous computers I've overclocked and continually run for over 10 years and counting with no issues. How many decades are you expecting them to keep going?

And I lol@"ultimate performance". And why is this not allowed for everyone? Trying to squeeze every last dime from us?

"If you value the lifespan of your components and don't want to tax them too hard"

lol wut? I know of numerous computers I've overclocked and continually run for over 10 years and counting with no issues. How many decades are you expecting them to keep going?

And I lol@"ultimate performance". And why is this not allowed for everyone? Trying to squeeze every last dime from us?
Not from "us". but from professionals. We built several workstations for a large camera shop that runs them 24 hours a day to process 4K videos and many simultaneous Photoshop renders. This new version of Windows will hit businesses like the one we deal with. Greed serves Microsoft well, for now.

Here's a suggestion about bringing performance for professional users: how about not releasing a FORCED service release that breaks the ability to launch many previously working virtual machines in Virtual Box you bunch of simpleton apes! So many people were excited when Windows 10 upgrades were offered for free....look at all the lemmings marching toward the cliff. This whole SaaS BS for a damned OS is lunacy when they have such a large scope as Windows and the compatibility required. Forced unmeaningful updates are straight short bus. Sure, force security hole plugs, but not random *** features that most probably don't want or aren't going to benefit from.

Here's a suggestion about bringing performance for professional users: how about not releasing a FORCED service release that breaks the ability to launch many previously working virtual machines in Virtual Box you bunch of simpleton apes! So many people were excited when Windows 10 upgrades were offered for free....look at all the lemmings marching toward the cliff. This whole SaaS BS for a damned OS is lunacy when they have such a large scope as Windows and the compatibility required. Forced unmeaningful updates are straight short bus. Sure, force security hole plugs, but not random *** features that most probably don't want or aren't going to benefit from.
Not breaking something and sometimes to the point of not being able to use your computer (thank the computer gods for "Image for Linux") is an impossibility for M$ and Windows 10 updates. They have a fetish for putting in those features that they think everybody wants, but nobody ever uses, then forgetting to test everything before they release it. Becoming M$ testers is the price we pay for getting "free updates."

Not breaking something and sometimes to the point of not being able to use your computer (thank the computer gods for "Image for Linux") is an impossibility for M$ and Windows 10 updates. They have a fetish for putting in those features that they think everybody wants, but nobody ever uses, then forgetting to test everything before they release it. Becoming M$ testers is the price we pay for getting "free updates."

What on Earth makes M$ think they can overclock,my rig better than I can? I'm on the edge now, water cooled 3930k at 4.2 gig ,4.3 I get some throttling, I need a new cooling system..wink wink..

We already had this type of performance from Process Lasso, many years ago.

Back when Win7 emerged and people were still using Macs for 3D rendering, comparing the two side by side showed the Macs would render around 8% faster on the same CPU. (using mental ray, for those in the know) But that was just stock Win7. So in comes Process Lasso and its Bitsum Highest Performance Mode, a Task Manager replacer with loads of nice features still untouched by Win10, and we reduced that 8% gap to zero. Not to .1%, as in many cases the Win7 installs were faster as well, over the Macs. But it showed that on the same CPU the OS overhead could be eliminated.

Nice to see MS address this but it's too little, too late. Macs are already useless for CGI and rendering, and everyone using their CPUs for top performance is already using Process Lasso or an equivalent.

No, it doesn't.

I checked out that little program you suggested, all my cores are already unparked, if I set my power plan to balanced or lower it parks a bunch of cores, set it back to high performance and it unparks all my cores.

Last edited:
I checked out that little program you suggested, all my cores are already unparked, if I set my power plan to balanced or lower it parks a bunch of cores, set it back to high performance and it unparks all my cores.

Changing my power profile has no such effect.

Windows 10 High Performance yeah all my systems here run at that... I don't use balance to me just way too slow. You can use Msconfig and go into advance make sure the CPU are set to dual or higher or cores 2, 4, 8 or higher. Leave RAM alone though if your system shares the RAM with Video. If you get 4 GB and it saids 3.87 GB usable Ram sharing in the BIOS for Video. Keep the system clean I use Wise Disk Cleaner Free get off TS downloads. Another app is called Free Windows Tuner v2.0.1.3 that was the last good version. The author has quiet making anything today. I've use Core Parking Manager I don't think that does anything. I don't see any difference.

Back