Leaked document points to free Apple TVs and Fire TV sticks for DirecTV Now subscribers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Customer support documents for AT&T’s upcoming DirecTV Now standalone streaming service indicate the telecom will be giving away Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick devices as incentives to get people to sign up.

The documents, which AT&T inadvertently published online and were discovered by Variety, notes that consumers who agree to a one-month commitment will receive a free Fire TV streaming stick. Those who agree to hang around for at least three months will get a free Apple TV set-top box out of the deal.

As the publication correctly points out, both devices are more expensive on their own versus what you’d pay in service charges for each promotion.

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said in October that DirecTV Now will launch sometime this month with a lineup of more than 100 channels for $35 per month. Stephenson said the bundle will include premium content, not “junk that nobody wants.”

The customer support documents didn’t include a complete channel guide but it did mention that there will be multiple packages to choose from. HBO and Cinemax were mentioned by name, the documents state. We also know that there will be a seven-day free trial.

DirecTV Now will compete with other over-the-top services including Sony’s PlayStation Vue and Sling TV, the latter of which also offers up free and discounted streaming hardware in exchange for various commitments.

Permalink to story.

Either of these require subscriptions, so I would not be enticed by receiving either of them for free.

Either of these require subscriptions, so I would not be enticed by receiving either of them for free.
They don't require subscriptions, unless by subscription you mean you have to sign up which you do with everything. Seems they only want you around for one month if you want the Fire TV and 3 for the Apple TV which is just to recoup the money for giving them out free (nothing is ever really free). This is basically the same as buying those devices and getting Sling TV or PlayStation Vue, you still need an internet subscription (but you always will) but overall it is cheaper.

In little fine print the *AppleTV subject to apple ID controlled and manged by DirecTV.*

They don't require subscriptions, unless by subscription you mean you have to sign up which you do with everything.
If you want to watch anything worth watching you will have to pay a subscription. You are certainly not going to watch anything on Netflix, Amazon Video, or other services offered through the device without paying a subscription fee. While there is probably some free content to be had with these devices, my bet is it is not significant. Need details? https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Stick-Remote-Streaming-Player/dp/B00ZV9RDKK/

If you want to watch anything worth watching you will have to pay a subscription. You are certainly not going to watch anything on Netflix, Amazon Video, or other services offered through the device without paying a subscription fee. While there is probably some free content to be had with these devices, my bet is it is not significant. Need details? https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Stick-Remote-Streaming-Player/dp/B00ZV9RDKK/
Of course you need to subscribe for certain things, nothing is free, someone made it and that someone wants compensation for their work. The only free you are going to get is OTA and even that is being encrypted by some companies so you need their boxes to view, few want to work for free and everyone needs to eat.

If you REALLY wanted to watch things though, and don't mind heading into the black area of the law you can get everything on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu all for free but you risk fines if you get caught. Even that, though, is not free since it requires time and effort and hard drive space in order to do, you pay a "subscription" for everything you just have to decide what it is worth to you. I personally find the fee of internet only (no added fees, no modem fees) and PlayStation Vue worth having compared to full internet & cable price or having to download EVERYTHING I want to watch.

Back