Leaked images reveal new display technology that could make next-gen iPad even thinner

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Pictures of what appear to be the front panel of Apple’s next generation iPad recently hit the web. The pair of photos reveal what looks to be the inclusion of an integrated display – a feature that could reduce the thickness of the next iPad or perhaps allow Apple to cram in a larger battery.

MacRumors discussed the images with iFixit co-founder Kyle Wiens who said the assembly could very well be the real deal and that it may use the same manufacturing process that was used to create the screen for the MacBook Pro with Retina display.

alleged ipad air front panel integrated display shown photos apple leaked tablet ipad air 2

While moving to an integrated panel would have its benefits, it’d also make repairs more difficult. Of course, Apple has never really been concerned with how easy an iDevice is to repair. Along the same lines, it could also be more expensive to fix a borked screen as one would need to replace the entire assembly versus just a single bad component.

In addition to the new screen (if legit), the next iPad is expected to include the Touch ID authentication system found on the iPhone 5s. It wouldn’t be out of the question to see Apple also outfit the new iPad with their A8 processor and perhaps a few other surprises.

alleged ipad air front panel integrated display shown photos apple leaked tablet ipad air 2

Apple released the current generation iPad Air on November 1, 2013 and if they stick to the same release schedule, we can expect to see the iPad Air 2 around that same time.

Permalink to story.

I really dont like phones getting much thinner in all honesty. Right now people break phones all the time and I can just imagine what will happen if it gets any thinner. Unless they make the device tougher while making it thinner this can only go bad.

I could not find info if the new rumored next gen iPad screen is still from Samsung or from its rival LG.

I really dont like phones getting much thinner in all honesty. Right now people break phones all the time and I can just imagine what will happen if it gets any thinner. Unless they make the device tougher while making it thinner this can only go bad.

The vast majority of users do not abuse their electronics. For those people there are 3rd party, specifically-designed cases that protect from water or impacts.

That really isnt the issue IMO. The issue for me is the repairability as electronics get thinner. Thinner=more glue.

Phones getting thinner --> that's the current trend :D

Thinner=more glue ---> I guess thinner = more glue, more fragile, more hard to repair :D

The vast majority of users do not abuse their electronics. For those people there are 3rd party, specifically-designed cases that protect from water or impacts.

Vast majority? Vast majority seem to have broken screens and what not. My S4 has the perfect thickness as it is not too thick nor too thin :D (inb4 the joke).

Abuse has nothing to do with it, it all comes from an accidental drop on the ground more than anything. Cases always help but I see tons of people without them plus they are not guaranteed unless you spend a lot on a decent case.
That really isnt the issue IMO. The issue for me is the repairability as electronics get thinner. Thinner=more glue.
Well as things get thinner the problem I see is the glass becomes the only thing hitting the ground when dropped. I have seen so many phones with shattered screens that I feel making phones thinner and more breakable is not the best idea unless they make the screens tougher.

I just think it gets to the point that we need better screens for our phones so they can actually absorb damage. The joke of the Nokia phone that indestructible is mostly true as far as phones go mostly due to the design of the phone and its thickness more than anything.

They try to make them lighter, not thinner. Thinner is what you get as an obvious result.

...[ ]...I have seen so many phones with shattered screens that I feel making phones thinner and more breakable is not the best idea unless they make the screens tougher....[ ]....
You're only a consumer, so you don't get to say what's better. Mind your place, and let the large electronics firms tell you what's better, and what you should like, think, desperately long for, and then buy. If the advertising pressure isn't enough to let those eagles fly, make friends with people who already have the newer device, and let them shame you into buying whatever they already own

Who cares if the device is more easily breakable?" That only means it is your manifest duty to break it ASAP, and buy the next, even thinner, even more easily breakable model. This keeps the cycle of currency up to date. As money loses its value via inflation, you have to spend more and buy things sooner, to keep corporate profits at an escalating level.

Abuse has nothing to do with it, it all comes from an accidental drop on the ground more than anything. Cases always help but I see tons of people without them plus they are not guaranteed unless you spend a lot on a decent case.

Well as things get thinner the problem I see is the glass becomes the only thing hitting the ground when dropped. I have seen so many phones with shattered screens that I feel making phones thinner and more breakable is not the best idea unless they make the screens tougher.

I just think it gets to the point that we need better screens for our phones so they can actually absorb damage. The joke of the Nokia phone that indestructible is mostly true as far as phones go mostly due to the design of the phone and its thickness more than anything.
Yeah I see what you mean. When people's screens break you can easily replace the glass but now with the display embedded, it will completely stop working once dropped and the glass breaks. Apple probably sees the repair potential and profit in this :D.

Apple probably sees the repair potential and profit in this :D.
Precisely, and this makes them disposable, which means Apple will be selling you a new phone. Planned obsolescence is usually the name of the game, but when objects are made so thin they are basically one piece, planning has very little part in it.

I don't know anyone who has never dropped their idevice. My iPhone 5 has bounced a couple of times and my case has absorbed it. Don't like the idea of an ipad so light the wind can blow it off the table :)

Back