Leaked Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 images reveal a massive card

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The first images of Nvidia’s Ampere-based GeForce RTX 3090 have leaked onto the Internet ahead of Nvidia’s planned August 31 unveiling. The leaker, who said the images came from 4chan, described the card as the “Titan” of this generation and claims it’ll retail for $1,400.

The photos in question come courtesy of Twitter user @GarnetSunset. In the first, we see the purported 3090 beside an RTX 2080, which it absolutely dwarfs in terms of sheer size. The triple-slot card features a single cooling fan on the front that’s mounted to an impressive looking heatsink with no shortage of cooling fin arrays.

Around back is an equally large fan positioned at the opposite end of the card. As you can see, most of the fins here are covered by a backplate. It also appears as if there is something written on the backplate but this looks to have been digitally masked – maybe RTX 3090?

For what it’s worth, the leaker also said the 3080 will be priced at $800 followed by the 3070 at $600 and the 3060 at $400.

The heatsink design looks to be very similar to the leaked 3080 heatsinks we saw a few months back.

As always, one should take leaks like these with a grain of salt. It’s fun to speculate but we won’t know for certain until Nvidia shares official details at the end of the month.

Images courtesy @GarnetSunset

Permalink to story.

These images are edited. The cards are not on the same table or height, and if you compare the PCI connectors you can see that the one is bigger which cannot be.

It can if it's the new 12 pin connector they've been talking about for a couple months. They went full AMD for power requirements. They just have the performance to justify it up (hopefully). These are 300-400 watt cards. Gone are the days of pascal power envelopes.

$600 for a 3070 whats that in uk £499 maybe, thats ok as I think I paid £299 for my 970 so I guess that's acceptable but still..

This does not look like progress..
It looks like "let's make it x times bigger so it gets x times stronger"
Personally I think the bigger the better. My components sit in my desktop tower and I would rather they take up the space in there for cooling purposes.

But yes, this won’t do for small or mobile devices.

The shadows are really a bit all over the place, making the authenticity of the pictures suspicious the least. Still, also very well could be a hint of what to expect: given the leaked specs, I wouldn't be exactly shocked if it turned out to be a massive card. And then there will be at least a chance for silent operation (which I care infinitely more about than the actual size taken up inside my case).

I have no idea what the thermals are gonna be like on this thing but I already know one thing: I want the hybrid FTW version with build in Liquid cooler.

These images are edited. The cards are not on the same table or height, and if you compare the PCI connectors you can see that the one is bigger which cannot be.

On the contrary...the 3090 is a triple-slot card. So when the cards are both placed on a table with the backside facing up, the PCI connector on the 3090 will be closer to the camera, and thus appear larger.

I just compared the two PCI connectors in Photoshop, and the one on the 3090 is only slightly larger. Increasing the overall size of the 2080 in PS to make the connectors exactly the same size still shows a very large difference in size between the two cards.

Back