Leaked: Windows 8 Task Manager screenshot

Emil

Staff

Windows 8 build 7850, the first leaked Windows 8 build, may be old (it was compiled on September 22, 2010) as it's from Milestone 1, but not only does it contain new features such as the Portable Workspace but it also has a new Task Manager. Users on the My Digital Life forums have figured out how to turn it on and have taken a screenshot of how it looks (pictured below).

The new Task Manager is not completely functional in the aforementioned build (closing an application with the utility does not make it disappear from the list). Still, it's noticeably different. As you can see, there are three tabs: Programs, Startup, and Users (compared to Applications, Processes, Performance, and Networking in current versions of Windows). This will likely change, but it's still interesting to see what Microsoft is experimenting with.

Microsoft has also decided to categorize Programs into Windows System-Critical Programs, Background Programs, and Applications. This should make it much easier to find the task the user wants to kill. There's also an Advanced Task Manager interface in Windows 8 that lets users see more information about running processes and services. This feature will likely be changing quite a bit, so we'll keep an eye on it in future builds.

I frequently use the Task Manager in Windows so I'm rather excited to see that Microsoft is tweaking it. It shows the company still cares about power users. What do you want to see in the new Task Manager?

Permalink to story.

I'd love to see better graph support for multi-core systems (in the very least, a function to assign different colors to different processing cores, and an option to have one graph for all cores, like in Linux). I'd also like to see processes labelled as core Windows processes, and all otherwise.

hmmm looks .... ugly?

i would love to see build-in full system information/monitoring tool like
- load/temperatures graphs
- history logging support
- deep processes viewer
- FULL system hardware info

Not directed at either of the first two post - But I am always amazed by how much people make STRONG judgments about these leaks when they are clearly and obviously bound to change (based on the observation that with previous versions, stuffs always changes from what you see in the first waves of leaks).

Why say "ZOMG!?!?!!!11? I'M SKIPPING WIN 8 CUZ TASKBAR HAZ A UZER DISPLAY PIC IN IT!!!1!"

Anyways, I like this new task manager. The separation of processes/programs by the three categories is great. Plus, I noticed a "startup" tab which I assume indicates you will be able to manage startup processes without the need for a program like CCleaner. The one thing I did not like is that, in terms of design, the three tabs look out of place. I think it would benefit from a ribbon design better. Or perhaps, It should make use of that baby-blue colored toolbar found in Windows 7 Explorer.

Most people just hate change because it is different. Like the people who think Win XP is still good... Sorry folks but I'm almost happy that Microsoft continues to push forward with ribbon designs and leaving XP and Vista out with IE 10. It's those people that refuse to change that are holding technology back.

Other than a few GUI changes and a negligible amount of new features, I don't see any difference between W8 and W7. Nothing I've seen so far makes me want to run out and buy it. Personally, I liked the list view of everything at 12 point font instead of something taking up a 1/2" tall piece of screen real estate. That's part of the reason I used an oblivion mod to make the Items menu smaller, allowing me to see more stuff on screen. I guess that is somehow related to my anger at the 16:9 ratio instead of the 16:10. It's nice to be able to fit as many lines of code on a screen at once. The 1080P resolution bothers me enough that I rotate my monitor 90 degrees to make it taller when scripting. 1920X1200 is my ideal resolution.

Makes me angry that this is a feature that mostly advanced users use and they are trying to make it easier for the less-intelligent user to use. Between peoples blatant disregard for security on their computer and the stuff they download/install without thinking, a task manager overhaul is the last thing windows needs.

I could deal with missing a few features from XP going to vista/7 because of the convenience they offered, but this goes a little too far. IIRC, Task manager has looked the same since 98(maybe even 95, I was young then), why change it? Is it simply to make something look new? They mentioned there will be an advanced menu so I am hoping that will look like the "classic" task manager.

It seems silly to me that they will spend resources on revamping a GUI when we should all be worried about security. Especially considering how many people lack the knowledge to make their computers secure. That, however, is a different topic altogether. Now that I think about it, most of what I wrote was completely off topic...

I don't know why all these leaks about Windows 8, Putting all of them, I can see a even worse system that "Windows 7".

Maybe, I have to buy a new laptop before it is too late...

(...because after "Windows 7"the only thing worthwhile will be a Linux distribution or even Mac OS)

I gotta go with Guest #3 here. Have we all forgotten the FREE Windows 7 beta that most of us used, and was probably the deciding factor for those of us who bought it?

They say later this year they're going to release the Windows 8 beta, and we call al load it up and bash it or love it.

Its almost guaranteed that everyone will have the ability to put their system and the new OS through its paces before we are forced to make a decision whether we have to spend a penny on it. Based on the Windows 7 beta, you basically get to use the OS for free for close to a year. At that point if you find there are no advatages to 8 over 7, then you don't have to buy it. Just wait until the beta expires, or just delete it from your partition and go back to using 7 (or XP, if that's how you roll).

Even if they don't do this, you'll still be able to download a copy from your preferred source of obtaining such software, and use it for a month or so before the WGA police knocks on your virtual door.

Windows 7 is a great OS, and MS made a brilliant marketing (and technical) move by letting people try it for free and decide for themselvles if it is worth buying, getting feedback from millions of people along the way.

Nobody is going to force anyone to buy anything. You don't see a difference? Don't buy it. Simple as that. I'll praise or complain about features that I see as much as anyone else, but for everyone who is already deciding that you're not going to buy it based on a few screen shots, why don't you just wait for the free beta, and decide after you actually use it. - gwailo247

isn't this something OSX already been using for a long time? i am actually surprised that microsoft hasn't implemented this yet.

Guest one nailed it. all these wannabe techies grading software in the very early stages makes me laugh. especially when Windows 7 is so common. no one cares if you will buy windows 8. nothing has changed... if you want a new computer when windows 8 is out. guess what OS you get? the best part is how great Windows 7 is, but all of a sudden Windows 8 is the devil. there is also nothing stopping you from waiting for reviews and reading some forums about the new OS. not everyone buys on launch day you know. but if you are a real techie, then you wouldn't talk bad about software still over a year away. especially software as big as this (an OS).

"ZOMG!?!?!!!11? I'M SKIPPING WIN 8 CUZ TASKBAR HAZ A UZER DISPLAY PIC IN IT!!!1!"
LMAO... its funny cuz it's true!!!

I like the old Task Manager. But I notice that Disk Activity and Network Activity are placed on the bottom with the percentage, and I see that adding these make it easier to read. Other than that, the new UI for Task Manager is not very pleasant looking. It might change during development, but for now it looks very ugly.

Task Manager can already put one graph for all cores. I would like the option for having one graph per chip, which would be useful on computers with many cores and/or threads. I personally think the UI should not change much otherwise.

Buying all these multi-core CPU and more than 4GB, 8GB, 16GB of RAM where most apps only use the 4GB. 2GB for the OS the rest you can have fun with. Windows 8 and then Windows 9. Windows 7 good starting point but like all OS versions it's still plagued with updates, patches an etc.. We all go out and buy the fastest system just to run Windows 7 on. What's going to happen with Windows or even Windows 10.

Time will soon tell that tale!

@tipstir
No argument about 'Windows 7 good starting point but like all OS versions it's still plagued with updates, patches an etc' bit ......... but IMO every software have bugs, only thing is how many of them are discovered. Beside have you not heard other OS vendors 'putting out hundred of MBs of updates' to patch their system?

It would be nice to see a summary of all the articles Techspot posts about leaked info on Windows 8. That way I will just read one article on all of them instead of every single article... but i suppose more articles looks good to some people... the more the better?

I appreciate quality over quantity, just a personal preference.

Back