Lenovo hires Ashton Kutcher as product engineer, celebrity endorser

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Product engineer and celebrity endorser typically aren’t two job titles that you’d find on an individual’s resume but that’s the exact role (no pun intended) that actor Ashton Kutcher will fulfill in his new position with Lenovo.

In a press release on the matter, Lenovo said Kutcher will work with the company’s engineering teams around the world to offer insight in the development and marketing of their Yoga line of tablets. He boasts more than 15 million Twitter followers which, given the platform’s recent changes to users’ timelines, could certainly help Lenovo’s social media push.

The actor studied biochemical engineering at the University of Iowa and as co-founder of A-Grade Investments, has provided venture capital and collaboration for multiple tech companies including Airbnb, Foursquare, Spotify and Path, just to name a few. He’s also done promotional work for Nikon in the past and played the role of Steve Jobs in the biographical drama film Jobs earlier this year.

Kutcher is by no means the first celebrity to take on a creative role at a large tech company. Lady Gaga was named as Polaroid’s creative director back in 2010 and a year later, Intel signed Black Eyed Peas frontman will.I.am to a multi-year deal as their director of creative innovation.

Early this year, BlackBerry selected hit recording artist Alicia Keys as their new creative director while T-Mobile nabbed pop star Shakira to perform during their Uncarrier 3.0 event just a few weeks ago.

Permalink to story.

Lol exactly what I thought. Seems like everyone's smoking something nowadays.

I actually read the whole article and learned a lot about Ashton. As much as I hate his "comedy", he seems to be very bright and actually capable of fulfilling the role.

He did a biopic on jobs,plays a software billionaire on a sitcom this seems like his next movie role than a job.

I think it's a smart marketing move considering Lenovo already produces great hardware all around, they just need to appeal to the masses to give it a try. On the other hand, Kutcher may better not get caught using an iPad or Macbook while at home, otherwise it's going to be a big fail for Lenovo.

Please research this: If I'm correct, Ashton only lasted one semester as a Biochemistry major, before he dropped out under the cloud of academic probation. Nice try though. What exactly did he learn in ninety days? Apparently a language barrier and the starstruck Lenovo thinks that he's a Mechanical or Computer Engineer. An endorsement is all they really have, but just how much of that will translate to sales?

Back