LG 27GN750 Review: 240Hz Refresh, "1ms" IPS

1080p is the past. Everyone is aiming at 2160p to be the new standard in a mere couple of months. These monitors needs to die.

1080p is the past. Everyone is aiming at 2160p to be the new standard in a mere couple of months. These monitors needs to die.

Except they aren't and its not even close. Whats available in 4k is either crazy expensive, or seriously lacking in features. As someone who has been looking at computer screens trying to find a 4k, IPS, high refresh rate monitor I know none of it comes close to my price range. Good 2K, IPS, High Refresh Rate monitors are around $400 - $500. That makes it highly unfeasible for the majority. There is definitely a market for 1080P screens that look good. The majority of people aren't really willing to fork out the needed cash for a 2K and 4K monitor, just to turn around and find they need to fork over more cash for the CPU/GPU to run at the higher resolution properly. People just aren't that rich.

It always amuses me that PC users in general seem intelligent enough to understand the concept of market segmentation for most components - that APU's & low-end GPU's exist despite $1k flagships being available, that 120w Pico PSU / 450w SFX exist despite $500 1600w AXi jobs, that A4 / Letter sized printers continue to exist despite A3 large-format being available, that you still can buy $10 mice / $50 cases that aren't lit up like Xmas trees, etc... except for monitors... Every time a 1080p monitor review comes up it attracts the same "Oh yeah, well I'm a REAL gamer and I just bought myself a 4K monitor to go with my 2080Ti and this should be everyone's baseline" crowd regardless of what most gamers are actually using in reality...

Allow me to re-word your statement. Because I see the negative thinkers are insulting your point.
1080p should be the past. Many are now aiming at 2160p to be the new standard. These monitors needs to die.

I happen to agree with you, however, the current pricing of 2160p is still too high.

Allow me to re-word your statement. Because I see the negative thinkers are insulting your point.
1080p should be the past. Many are now aiming at 2160p to be the new standard. These monitors needs to die.

I happen to agree with you, however, the current pricing of 2160p is still too high.

That's not exactly true though. There are people that want 1080p and get the highest refresh rate possible for competitive and esports. 1080p doesn't need to be the past, it should just be another option like anything.

I recently bought the Asus VG279QM along with new PC (R5 3600 + 2060 Super), needless to say the R5 3600 can't produce any framerate in excess of 180fps in COD or PUBG, wasting the potential of a 280Hz screen XD.

There are insane hardware requirements to drive a 280hz 1080p screen, something along the line of 10900K and 2080 Super or faster...Yup, these screens are for serious try-hard gamers

Last edited:
I recently bought the Asus VG279QM along with new PC (R5 3600 + 2060 Super), needless to say the R5 3600 can't produce any framerate in excess of 180fps in COD or PUBG, wasting the potential of a 280Hz screen XD.

There are insane hardware requirements to drive a 280hz 1080p screen, something along the line of 10900K and 2080 Super or faster...Yup, these screens are for serious try-hard gamers

A 280hz display provides for great headroom. You don't need to reach 280hz to have an excellent experience, especially with adaptive sync.

Negative thinkers? As in those who say things "need to die"? Over petty, harmless and completely optional things like a particular type of monitor?

These 1080p panels still exist because the average graphics card can't run popular titles in 1440p/2160p at anything near 240 FPS. That's not pessimism that's just realism.

A 280hz display provides for great headroom. You don't need to reach 280hz to have an excellent experience, especially with adaptive sync.

Yeah but the problem with adaptive sync is when the FPS get too low, the pixel overdrive mode will produce overshoot, the fps need to be in a specific range for the overdrive to work correctly. Oh well at least with 280hz, you don't really need adaptive sync since the screen tearing is minimal, as documented by Nvidia with their 300hz screen promotional video...

What GPU will give you 240 fps @ 2160p or even 1440p with ultra settings in let's say Battlefield V? Not everybody plays games based on 9000 y.o. Source engines.

Don't even try to mention adaptive sync, no one buys a 240 hz monitor to see it working @ 240 Hz only in web browsers.

120 Htz is good enough for me.
LG OLED65B9PLA
Wont ever see me buying another pc monitor after I went OLED
LOL @ ips and dimming zones.

Great review, as usual. Any chance you could share the calibration profile? Haven't been able to find any icc on the internet for this monitor.

Back