LG 34GN850 34" Review: The New 21:9 Ultrawide Performance King

1440p? I lost interest. I've laughed at the 2160p purists... until I got myself one. Since then I refuse to go back. At home I have the LG 27UD68P (27" 3840x2160 16:9) since 2017, and at work I'm lucky enough to use the LG 34WK95U (34" 5120x2160 21:9) since last January... I love them. They're actually the same height, so it's a match made in heaven:

http://displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9

The 34WK95U's been out for like 18 months now, but still not too many challengers... AFAIK the only alternative is the MSI PS341WU, which is the same panel with an MSI enclosure, essentially. We still cheer for these 1440p displays. It's a shame, really.

Also, when are NV and AMD going to finally put DP2.0 connectors on their cards? Until that happens, 120 Hz 5K2K monitors are out of question...

Last edited:
I really want a 48 inch oled. I'm tired of the lack of support in ultrawides during cutscenes it really brakes the immersion for me even though the gameplay is ultra immersive.

1440p? I lost interest. I've laughed at the 2160p purists... until I got myself one. Since then I refuse to go back. At home I have the LG 27UD68P (27" 3840x2160 16:9) since 2017, and at work I'm lucky enough to use the LG 34WK95U (34" 5120x2160 21:9) since last January... I love them. They're actually the same height, so it's a match made in heaven:

http://displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9

The 34WK95U's been out for like 18 months now, but still not too many challengers... AFAIK the only alternative is the MSI PS341WU, which is the same panel with an MSI enclosure, essentially. We still cheer for these 1440p displays. It's a shame, really.

Also, when are NV and AMD going to finally put DP2.0 connectors on their cards? Until that happens, 120 Hz 5K2K monitors are out of question...
I'll take 1440p at 120 Hz over 4K at 60 Hz any day of the week.

RGB gain can be controlled in sRGB mode via DDC/CI with a myriad of free apps. (at least assume so based on my LG 38GN950)

Quite frequently this is the case with locked or even hidden controls: For example my previous display (AW3418) had no gamma control in OSD, but I was able to dial this in hardware. (my preferred DDC/CI software choice is 'controlmymonitor' by Nirsoft)

Occasionally there are caveats though. like the AW resetting this if power was pulled (not sleep)

I'll take 1440p at 120 Hz over 4K at 60 Hz any day of the week.

I'm the opposite of that, I've been gaming on a 32" 4K monitor for almost 2 years and it's hard look at anything none 4K now, picture is just soft and lacks the details

I'm the opposite of that, I've been gaming on a 32" 4K monitor for almost 2 years and it's hard look at anything none 4K now, picture is just soft and lacks the details

At the cost of more input lag and lower fps? IMHO it'll always be trading one deficiency/strength for another when it goes to monitors. For me I find 4K gaming just isn't as good as 2K in regards to a fast paced shooter. Slower paced games OTOH are less of a problem, but I still don't notice enough of a difference to matter. But as the old saying goes, YMMV...

At the cost of more input lag and lower fps? IMHO it'll always be trading one deficiency/strength for another when it goes to monitors. For me I find 4K gaming just isn't as good as 2K in regards to a fast paced shooter. Slower paced games OTOH are less of a problem, but I still don't notice enough of a difference to matter. But as the old saying goes, YMMV...

I do mostly play slower paced games or on a Xbox controller so 60fps is plenty for me. My wife games on a 27" 1440p 75Hz monitor and I was contemplating going 27" 144Hz but the difference in picture quality is too big for me I will jump on this high refresh bandwagon in 3 - 5 years when a single GPU can do it and the monitor itself isn't £1000+

Will you test the 27GN850 model out soon that replaces the GL850?

I know they are both going to be pretty similar but I am curious to see if the newer GN model also has improved brightness/contrast over the GL like this 34GN appears to offer.

Considering it was the main weakness of last year's GL then surely it would be another step forward for the 27 inch model, modest as it might be.

Back