LG C2 42 Review: The OLED PC Gaming Monitor Test

As a long-term OLED owner (formerly a LG B6P, now a 48" LG C2) I will say burn-in is a concern, and you did nail the essentials: Minimize the taskbar, screensavers, and most importantly: Turn the set off if you go away for more then a few minutes. I can say my B6P burned in the taskbar over the period of a year (backlight set to 100 during that timespan), but otherwise held up well, accumulating additional damage over the next 5 years due to heavy use. Newer OLEDs are more resistant, but some additional care is required.

In SDR, I also recommend reducing the OLED backlight; at least on my B6P I eventually ended up running at 30, which was still more then bright enough; it's amazing how quickly you adjust.

Now, I haven't measured my 48" C2 for accuracy, but out of the box it was very reasonable; no obvious tinting, and the primaries look spot on. Might just be set-to-set variance, thought I'd point it out.

One additional note: My 48" C2 uses a different stand that has no way to route wires through the middle; they all have to go around. Something to keep in mind if you plan to slap it on your desk (though I'd expect most of you would go toward the 42" version).

As long as you care for the set well, I'd expect you can get 5+ years out of it. But some care is absolutely required.

I was considering this TV as monitor option, since I'm getting older and my eyes are not as they use to be. But looking at some setups with a TV, I can say the same text it's not optimal.
Biggest screen I have found so far it's 32" DELL P3222QE for 500 Euro.
Now let me see how to convince my wife I need bigger screen to replace two 25" 2560*1080 I have now.

Fyi LG came out with a 48 inch oled monitor with 4k 135 hz oc and DP 1.4.
I am personally looking for qd oled or w oled with g2 2022 like heatsink ( at almost 1000 nits of peak brightness) with dp 2.0 monitors, but they will likely come out next year. Even the va miniled came a long way but is still with dp 1.4 at 4k 240hz.

I was considering this TV as monitor option, since I'm getting older and my eyes are not as they use to be. But looking at some setups with a TV, I can say the same text it's not optimal.
Now let me see how to convince my wife I need bigger screen to replace two 25" 2560*1080 I have now.
The text is more or less fine with ClearType enabled.

Awesome review. It's a deal breaker that I won't be able to use this TV at 120Hz since my laptop has an older graphics card. It will definitely be on my wishlist when I upgrade to a newer laptop though.

Spot on article! I replaced my CX 48" with this TV in April due to neck strain from the oversized 48" and the usability is night and day as you say. I have mine flat wall mounted about 90cm from my face and bottom edge 10cm above the desk although it could be a tad higher for maximum comfort.

Obviously games look amazing but the big improvement over the 48 is the higher pixel density and resulting improvement to text clarity which makes working from home a better experience.

ABSL was as annoying as on the CX but I've disabled that via a cheap service remote bought off Amazon so that is no longer an issue. Whether that causes longer-term issues is too early to know. I am very careful to avoid burn-in risk but my CX did retain the yellow HUD bits from Borderlands, 3 although I did play that excessively during covid lockdowns!

The only gripe now is that the remote on/off function cannot be locked per device which is a problem with my CX now used as a TV just meters away! Something to bear in mind if you plan to have multiple LG devices in close proximity.

Last edited:
I have a 55" OLED (B9) as a monitor. The text is fine at either 2K or 4K, only at FHD it doesn't seem that neat.

If you are going to use as a monitor you will need to turn OLED light way down (or use heavy energy saving modes). I currently have set it to 12/100 - these TVs are really bright! Setting OLED light low also helps prevent burn in.
No sight of burn in yet - have had this TV for almost 2,5 years, I don't have the exact hr count but it must be more than 10K hrs.
To minimize the risk,I have set the taskbar to auto hide and also translucentTB for Windows to customize it. The screensaver and the desktop are pure black with no shortcuts (also reduces power usage)
Also using dark mode as much as possible and switching places of windows etc. I also switch resolutions between 2K and 4K from time to time.

Now I have a different model LG I use as a TV on some of the work computers and it has an advanced settings tab for the input where I can configure it as a Computer. Does the C2 have that and was that done here? On mine it was not documented in the manual but I had found a post about it and that allowed me to find the setting.

Now I have a different model LG I use as a TV on some of the work computers and it has an advanced settings tab for the input where I can configure it as a Computer. Does the C2 have that and was that done here? On mine it was not documented in the manual but I had found a post about it and that allowed me to find the setting.
It's called Game Optimiser mode. One setting and you have 120hz, low latency, variable refresh rate all enabled. There's other settings within that you can tweak but it's very straight forward to use

Rather big for a desktop gaming monitor, don't you think? :) The usual 4K smart TVs are about 42''.

This is great tv for gaming, and for gaming on pc, but I would not ever use it as pc monitor sure to text display issues. I would agree to 95 as gaming tv, but for desktop pc screen for gaming and general use it is mediocre and Alienware does much better job.
I have uw 38 lg and unless I get same size uw oiled in not going to change. Hope in 2-3 years we will see a proper desktop oled monitors in many sizes.

Back