LG TV leak gives a glimpse of a resurrected webOS

Scorpus

Staff member

It has been a long time since LG Electronics purchased webOS from HP with a goal of re-purposing the software for use in smart TVs. Today well-known leaker @evleaks posted an image of an upcoming LG-made smart TV powered by webOS, giving us the first glimpse at what the software might bring to the platform.

webos lg tv television smart tv cards

Shown on the TV's display is what appears to be webOS's 'Cards' interface, which used to be the main way to multitask on the smartphone and tablet version of the OS. Smart TV apps take the form of cards, seen in the bottom area of the screen, that feature thumbnails if the app has been used.

Apps that will come with this TV, according to the leaked image, include YouTube, Facebook, Skype, Twitter, AccuWeather, a web browser and LG's SmartShare service. As webOS matures as a Smart TV platform, expect to see more applications available, hopefully for popular streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.

This particular TV will be announced at next week's CES 2014 in Las Vegas, and is expected to be powered by a 2.2 GHz dual-core processor (likely ARM-based) plus 1.5 GB of RAM. Apps based on webOS' Enyo framework will be supported, although a price for the TV hasn't been announced at this stage.

Permalink to story.

Wow now that is a TV. Well done LG. Their SmartTV interface couldn't compete with Samsung's but this could change that.

Don't really care. Won't buy LG again after my $1800 TV broke; as a result of normal use, right after the 1 year warranty ran out. They make substandard products.

Good move. I purchased a discounted (discontinued) HP Touchpad for $99 and found WebOS to be a very nice tablet OS. Clean and easy to use, much more unobtrusive than Android, and totally free of the increasingly unwanted over-integration of Google's spying, I mean services.

Good user community support that enabled me to quickly root the Touchpad.

I hope this leads to a viable alternate OS for hand-held devices - or perhaps more LG devices with WebOS smarts.

Back