LGA 775 vs 1366 - CPU Cooler Mounting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

You'd think I'd be able to find this information quite easily but no, not even in several of Intel's official documents. Must be looking in the wrong place... Anyways, I'm trying to figure out the dimensions of the LGA 1366 cooler mount holes in comparison to LGA 775. All I can dig up is technical stuff. Basically I just want to know if my 775 waterblock pump would work with a 1366 socket; without actually having a socket B board lying around it's a bit tough. Are the mounting holes the same distance?

If that's confusing this is what i mean: http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p104/EXCellR8/LGA_Socket_1366.jpg

No, they are not.

The 1366 mounting holes are bigger. Not sure by how much, but they're definitely bigger.

If you can manage to dig up a pic of the mounting plate for the Thermalright Venomous X, you'll notice 3 mounting holes side by side: the smallest (by distance from each other) for the 775, medium for 1156, and the largest for the 1366. the review from legitreviews have pretty good pics I think. Not many people have good closeups for the mounting plate.

I think I see what you're talking about from the URL below:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1215/3/

I wonder if I could just use that mounting plate in conjunction with my 775 block, with minimal modification anyways. Maybe not though since the Apogee drive mounts right to the board and doesn't require any spacers... I don't know, probably just have to buy something else when the time comes, oh well.

Thanks for the responses

No, they are not.

The 1366 mounting holes are bigger. Not sure by how much, but they're definitely bigger.

If you can manage to dig up a pic of the mounting plate for the Thermalright Venomous X, you'll notice 3 mounting holes side by side: the smallest (by distance from each other) for the 775, medium for 1156, and the largest for the 1366. the review from legitreviews have pretty good pics I think. Not many people have good closeups for the mounting plate.

you should do your research before you call someone a lier

see this link, section: "b mechanical drawings" (or page 48) http://download.intel.com/design/processor/designex/320837.pdf

Let me clarify.

I didn't say its not 80mm, I'm just answering the poster's question about the holes being the same distance.

I should've been more clear on what I was answering lol.

Anyway, back to the topic, according to dustin_ds3000 and his link, the holes are 80mm apart, so if you made some sort of mount with 80mm holes (use fan holes maybe? Bear in mind they might be a little less than 80mm apart in 80mm fans), you should be able to use your waterblock.

Not sure how i missed those drawings as i have a copy of that .pdf saved... but yea that helps me out a bit. 80mm is good... should be able to make it work with the 775 block even with the holes @ 72mm. Heck, I may even be able to drill new ones in the PCB since 775 is smaller. Not a great idea I realize but what can I say I really like this pump :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back