LG's feature-packed ProBeam laser projector is coming to CES 2017

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Television sets are always a big hit at CES but come next month, new models from LG will have to share coveted space on the show floor with the company’s latest laser projector.

LG’s new ProBeam (model HF80JA) projector comes equipped with an advanced laser engine capable of turning out up to 2,000 lumens of brightness which LG claims is suitable for use in a brightly-lit room.

Even more attractive is the unit’s lightweight, standing-type design. At just 4.6 pounds, LG says the ProBeam is the industry’s lightest Full HD laser projector in the 2,000 lumens range. By nature, this also makes it much more portable than your ordinary projector.

Other features including four corner keystone and vertical auto keystone should make setup a breeze.

It’s more than just a display, however, as the ProBeam comes loaded with LG’s webOS Smart TV platform, thus eliminating the need for a standalone streaming media device. Should you want to stream from a mobile device, LG’s wireless mirroring feature via Miracast should do the trick. Users can even stream audio directly to a Bluetooth speaker or headphones, both of which could be incredibly useful in the right situation.

LG’s new laser projector will be on display at CES early next month at which time I suspect we’ll be provided with a launch window and cost. If priced favorably, LG could have a seriously attractive setup on its hands.

Permalink to story.

People have been using projectors to stream games from HTPC's for years.

Sure, but I dont think thats what they are saying. The article says the projector is a "smart projector" so it will have netflix, youtube and all those apps. Pretty cool, would make a great portable device for backyard or garage movie nights for kids

I admit, I'm curious. Once I hear what the resolution, refresh rate, and price are then I will either be really interested or just whatever...
"LG says the ProBeam is the industry’s lightest Full HD laser projector in the 2,000 lumens range." So that should mean 1080p. 60fps would be fantastic, and the price is likely not gonna be cheap... I'm still interested though.

"LG says the ProBeam is the industry’s lightest Full HD laser projector in the 2,000 lumens range." So that should mean 1080p. 60fps would be fantastic, and the price is likely not gonna be cheap... I'm still interested though.
I did some quick looking on current laser projectors prices, my guess is between $5K - $10K.

I admit, I'm curious. Once I hear what the resolution, refresh rate, and price are then I will either be really interested or just whatever...

I'm interested too... but I'd have to read some reviews. Projectors often have super loud fans and it's pretty annoying to have something so loud right in the middle of the room.

2000 lumens isn't enough for a brightly lit room, but still better than almost all other portable projectors of similar size. I have a 5000 lumen flashlight that shines well enough for the task in a brightly lit room, but nothing we have at work (max is a 3k projector) works all that great when the sun comes in.

Back