LG's new cordless stick vacuum automatically empties dust while charging

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: LG’s latest cordless stick vacuum is borrowing a trick from another pioneer in the vacuum space - an automatically emptying dustbin. The functionality, LG said, maximizes user convenience and minimizes exposure to dust, making the overall process more hygienic. Sure, you’ll still have to tend to the dust bag and clean the vac’s filters to ensure optimal performance, but not having to empty the dustbin manually is one less chore to deal with.

The new LG CordZeroThinQ A9 Kompressor+, set to be formally introduced during the all-virtual CES 2021 next week, includes a new charging station stand that automatically empties the vacuum’s dustbin into a dust bag while recharging its battery.

The multi-function stand also doubles as a storage compartment for the vacuum’s set of six accessories and nozzles. It additionally features a full touch display to adjust charging settings and there’s even a switch to initiate the dustbin emptying procedure manually.

For what it’s worth, the vac also functions as a hard floor mop simply by changing the attachments.

LG didn’t mention pricing or availability in its press release but considering the existing LG CordZero A9 Kompressor currently commands north of $600 over on Amazon, you can probably expect the new model to debut for at least the same price, if not slightly more.

Permalink to story.

CoredZeroThinQ A9 Kompressor+? Did they just throw a dictionary onto the floor and choose whatever words happen to be facing upwards, when they named it?

I quite like the stand for charging it and storing the tools, but the auto-empty feature seems somewhat redundant, since you'll have to empty the stand anyway. I guess the use of the bag makes the process a little cleaner to do.

I also kept help but feel that Dyson's legal team make look at that bottom picture and go 'hmmm...a smell a suit a'coming...'

CoredZeroThinQ A9 Kompressor+? Did they just throw a dictionary onto the floor and choose whatever words happen to be facing upwards, when they named it?

I quite like the stand for charging it and storing the tools, but the auto-empty feature seems somewhat redundant, since you'll have to empty the stand anyway. I guess the use of the bag makes the process a little cleaner to do.

I also kept help but feel that Dyson's legal team make look at that bottom picture and go 'hmmm...a smell a suit a'coming...'

Couldn't agree more.

That stand looks even more awkward to empty.

I know what I'm about to say is a worn and unliked question Nick, but, am I missing something in the story?

My Son and Daughter in Law purchased a Shark IQ Robot back in Nov. 2019 that empties itself and cleans its own brush roll.

I know what I'm about to say is a worn and unliked question Nick, but, am I missing something in the story?
Do you mean my comment about the auto-emptying feature? If so, then it's about the fact that when you place the vacuum cleaner into the stand, it empties its dust holder into a bag. The thing is that bag then needs to be manually removed and disposed of, once full. To me, it just seems like an additional, and perhaps unnecessary, step in the whole process of disposing of the dust and dirt.

Of course, having it all contained within a bag is a little more convenient and probably saves the dirt escaping, but I suspect the bag is non-resuable, requiring one to purchase additional bags when they're full. If that's the case, then it's more cost effective and better for waste landfills to not bother with the bags altogether. Thus making the whole auto-empty thing redundant.

My Son and Daughter in Law purchased a Shark IQ Robot back in Nov. 2019 that empties itself and cleans its own brush roll.
I guess the feature is similar to that which your family's Shark and other robot cleaners have. But with them, you'd expect it have a self-cleaning and emptying system, given the autonomous nature of the device. Given that the LG is entirely manual cleaner, the only benefit I can see of having it is that it makes the disposal of the waste a cleaner process.

I have both a Roomba and the Dyson stick vacuum. While emptying the Roomba is fairly easy and mess free (thanks to its smaller size bin), the Dyson isn't so much as dust flies everywhere when emptying so this would kind of make sense.

Do you mean my comment about the auto-emptying feature? If so, then it's about the fact that when you place the vacuum cleaner into the stand, it empties its dust holder into a bag. The thing is that bag then needs to be manually removed and disposed of, once full. To me, it just seems like an additional, and perhaps unnecessary, step in the whole process of disposing of the dust and dirt.

Of course, having it all contained within a bag is a little more convenient and probably saves the dirt escaping, but I suspect the bag is non-resuable, requiring one to purchase additional bags when they're full. If that's the case, then it's more cost effective and better for waste landfills to not bother with the bags altogether. Thus making the whole auto-empty thing redundant.

I guess the feature is similar to that which your family's Shark and other robot cleaners have. But with them, you'd expect it have a self-cleaning and emptying system, given the autonomous nature of the device. Given that the LG is entirely manual cleaner, the only benefit I can see of having it is that it makes the disposal of the waste a cleaner process.

Exactly! Best and really only benefit of this is making the disposal cleaner. With my Dyson V10, when I empty the bin into a trash bag and try to get other stuff out, I shake the unit but shaking it causes dust to fly everywhere. This would make the disposal much cleaner... just at a cost of their proprietary bag.

Back