LG's rollable 4K OLED TV is arriving in the US with a $100,000 price tag

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Years after the prototype was revealed at CES, LG's rollable OLED TV is finally coming to the US. It went on sale in Korea in 2020 for an eye-watering $87,000, but those in America won't be paying the same price—it's more expensive. Buying an LG Signature OLED R will cost a staggering $100,000.

It was way back in 2018 when the prototype of the rollable set appeared at CES. A real 4K 65-inch version appeared at the show a year later, and the 4K Signature OLED R landed in Korea in 2020 with that $87K price tag.

The Verge writes that the TV is now going on sale in the US for 100 grand. It features several slats on the rear that allow the display to roll around an internal cylinder inside the stand, with the entire rising/retraction process taking around 10 seconds.

The LG Signature OLED R sounds like a compelling piece of hardware for gamers with deep pockets. In addition to supporting HDR10 and HLG, it has a sub-1ms response time, auto low latency mode, 120Hz variable refresh rate, AMD FreeSync Premium support, and four HDMI 2.1 ports. You also get Dolby Vision, AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support, an Ethernet port, three USB 2.0 ports, Bluetooth 5.0, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

Additionally, the cabinet contains a front-firing 4.2 channel 100W Dolby Atmos sound system, and there's Line View, which stops the screen at a half-raised point and displays time, mood, music selections, and photos.

The OLED R is rated for 100,000 unfurls, which should offer plenty of years of use, as one would expect for the price. Pre-orders are open now. If you happen to be rich and want LG's rollable for your bedroom, why not consider Samsung's stunning 110-inch microLED TV as your main set. It's only $155,000.

Permalink to story.

It is perhaps the dumbest idea (or just plain lie) - to show a paper-thin large TV panel installed by the sea, to be torn and flipped by wind like butterfly.

These panels are NOT suitable for outdoor use.

Last edited:
It is perhaps the dumbest idea (or just plain lie) - to show a paper-thin large TV panel installed by the sea, to be torn and flipped by wind like butterfly.

These panels are NOT suitable for outdoor use.
It's probably not for those with common sense, but for those with more money than it.... so I really don't feel bad for them if it breaks. They can change these as often as tissues... pocket money.

OLED's good, but it ain't THAT good! :laughing:

This is for rich people who would rather buy frivolous things for themselves than spend their money on important things, like medical research.

Even if I were a multi-millionaire I would still scoff at this as ridiculous. What kind of fool spends $100,000USD on a FRACKING TELEVISION???

If I'm spending $100,000, I want a small 25-seat theatre with a projector, a screen and a popcorn maker.

Man, I thought that the $2,000+ TAG SmartWatch was stupid but I don't think that there is a word to describe this thing. Even ludicrous doesn't seem to be a strong enough word.

Last edited:
Another new fad that will be hot for about a year until something new and different comes out. You sure don't want one of these with children in the house that like to throw things ...... LOL
I don't know how hot it will get because I can't think of many people who would be willing to spend $100k on a television.

"You will own nothing. You will be happy."

Of course this doesn't apply to the 'elites' who will still relish their toys.

For a moment I read, $10,000 and I thought, wow that's expensive, then I saw is $100,000 !!!
I know, it's completely insane eh? It's a goddamned TELEVISION FFS! Can you just imagine what the profit margin on it must be? The word that would describe my best guess is "astronomical". :laughing:

Of course its for the rich. That's what early adopters are for.
They buy stuff to fund further research into the idea or to pay for it's failure before adapting and moving on to the next.
50000 unfurls. I heard it was 16000 and I don't know who is going to find that an easy fix when it goes on the fritz.

The PoS still takes up the same amount of floor space, whether it's rolled up, or rolled down, so what's the point?

Oh wait, maybe they could add a net that rolls up when the screen is rolled down, so the idle rich could use it for indoor badminton

Are any of you old enough to remember when "plasma TVs" were all the rage? They were way too expensive at $10,000 a pop. (And long gone).

But remember boyz & gurlz, GM builds Corvettes so they can sell Chevy Novas, and god forbid, the infamous, "Vega".

Same strategy involved here.

Last edited:
The PoS still takes up the same amount of floor space, whether it's rolled up, or rolled down, so what's the point?

Oh wait, maybe they could add a net that rolls up when the screen is rolled down, so the idle rich could use it for indoor badminton

Are any of you old enough to remember when "plasma TVs" were all the rage? They were way too expensive at $10,000 a pop. (And long gone).

But remember boyz & gurlz, GM builds Corvettes so they can sell Chevy Novas, and god forbid, the infamous, "Vega".

Same strategy involved here.
It's about minimalism. Floor space yes.
Eye space. Not all the time.
What I don't get, is the hollow bit underneath. Smart TVs don't need blu ray players. It should be sealed and filled with fishy fishy fishies.

Plazma TVs are like CRT monitors. They were both big bulky heavy monstrosities that gave a better picture.
And nothing has really come along until oled.

But this throw away society concept has to stop. Even if this does 50000 unfurls, you lose ten every time you show neighbors and friends the up down action. Then you have to tell Billy to stop playing with the function. As he adds 1000 a month being a pleb.
Does it go down when the TV is off? Or can it stay up? I'd assume it can stay up otherwise I can see it being left on 24/7.
And the comments saying a wind or very harsh fart could tear it apart, makes me think it should be wall mounted like a projector screen. And extends up or down depending on fitted preference.

I'm pretty sure a day will come when many powerful gaming PCs are about the size of current NUCs, paired with a big screen that is folded into a little wrap. Then we can move our gaming PCs wherever we want easily with the rest of the setup, except maybe audio devices. Switching components may be tad trickier due to small size of the PC though. I certainly hope modular components will be retained no matter how small PCs might shrink.

Anyway, foldable displays are certainly the future if OLED like technology that can be folded remains. It is logistically easier too to transport folded displays and they are better protected from damage like that.

I'm pretty sure a day will come when many powerful gaming PCs are about the size of current NUCs, paired with a big screen that is folded into a little wrap. Then we can move our gaming PCs wherever we want easily with the rest of the setup, except maybe audio devices. Switching components may be tad trickier due to small size of the PC though. I certainly hope modular components will be retained no matter how small PCs might shrink.

Anyway, foldable displays are certainly the future if OLED like technology that can be folded remains. It is logistically easier too to transport folded displays and they are better protected from damage like that.
I expect something like The Matrix.

Well gee. 🤔 Let's see... A new paper thinned TV, or a house? How could I ever decide? Now what would Warren Buffett do?

Back