LG's V40 ThinQ rumored to arrive in October and feature five cameras, near bezel-free...

midian182

Staff member
Bottom line: While its handsets continue to receive positive reviews, LG struggles to compete with big industry hitters such as Samsung and Apple. But with a rumored five cameras and a 90 percent screen-to-body ratio, could the upcoming V40 ThinQ be a true challenger to rival flagships?

LG’s G7 ThinQ has received mostly positive reviews in the short time it's been available in the US, but we’re already looking toward the company’s next release: its flagship V40 ThinQ. According to recent reports, the handset could arrive as soon as October 5, and it will boast a set of features that may help it stand out from the pack.

Korean site ETNews reports that the V40 ThinQ will come with five cameras in total, three on the rear and two front-facing snappers. Like the Huawei P20 Pro, the back of the device features a triple lens setup, which in this case consists of 20MP primary, 16MP wide-angle, and 13MP telephoto cameras. The dual front-facing cameras, meanwhile, will be used for 3D face recognition.

With more phone companies trying to up their handsets’ screen-to-body ratio, it appears that the V40 ThinQ will have one of the highest of any device. The almost non-existent bezels mean the display is expected to cover 90 percent of the front, putting it in the same bracket as Vivo’s Nex (91.24 percent) and the Lenovo Z5 (90 percent). Compared to other LG handsets, it’s way above the G7 ThinQ's 83 percent and the V30’s 81 percent.

LG says has something “different from the conventional” planned to enable the V40’s huge screen-to-body ratio, whether that entails more than just super-thin bezels remains to be seen.

The V40 is thought to copy the G7 and come with a notch, though it would likely have the same ability to hide the cutout by adding black bars to the sides. It will almost certainly pack a flagship-standard Snapdragon 845, and LG’s Quad DAC, rear fingerprint sensor, and dedicated Google Assistant button on the side are also expected. One thing that’s still uncertain is whether LG will opt for an OLED panel as it did with the V30 or stick with an LCD like the one from the G7.

If the October 5 launch is accurate, we may see the V40 unveiled at next month’s IFA event in Berlin, which TechSpot will be attending.

Permalink to story.

My LG G3 battery exploded! Never buying another LG ever again. I never knew it exploded until I had open the case to learn it was.

My LG G3 battery exploded! Never buying another LG ever again. I never knew it exploded until I had open the case to learn it was.

When something explodes, you can usually see it right away. Sounds like your phone sharted.

What a completely stupid design. Do they not understand that people haven't yet mastered telekinesis and that you have to put your fingers *somewhere*?

Does not stand out with anything interesting in the landscape of flagships ... five cameras, give me a break?

The audio is so much better on the thinQ than the Samsung. They need to make a commercial, get some dumb looking, but smug actors with personal grooming issues, as Samsung owners and have them amazed at how much their Samsung phones underperform to the LGs

What a completely stupid design. Do they not understand that people haven't yet mastered telekinesis and that you have to put your fingers *somewhere*?
Get a phone case. Most add dimensions to the phone for protection which also helps people hold them.

- round corners - check
- tiny battery - check
- glass back - check
- removable battery? - NOPE
- burn-in: most certainly
- Android updates: laughable at best.
No thanks, LG. My next phone will be a Nokia. At least they have "pure" Android (or at least better than your bloated one)
Currently my LG v20 has serious battery issues, ZERO Oreo updates, burn-in screen so I'll NEVER do the same mistake again. No way, LG. Fool me once: I got a (broken after warranty) LG G3 - ZERO Android majopr version updates. Heating issues. Fool me twice: got a V20. NEVER again!

I had a Samsung phone and liked it very much until I dropped it and it was RIP. So I bought an LG which was cheaper. I was surprised that it was nicer to use than the Samsung. It is still going strong (although I need to replace the battery) so I would definitely consider the thinQ.

Back