Lightning strike - PC dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinone

Hey all. need some guidence on what to do here.

few days ago we had a lightning strike hit very close to my house and next morning PC refuses to boot.

Everything sounds fine. fans are all running, no sign of damage.
Computer will turn on but will do nothing more than stay powered on with the hd light permanently on.
pushing reset or power button does nothing unless plug is unplugged

i've swapped PSU's as iv heard that can be the cause.

refitted everything, removed cmos battery but to no success.

monitor is fine same as my amp

my initial reaction was to call novatech and get it repaired or replaced but i dont want to loose my data on my hard drive.
i can only imagine the mobo being shot to hell so i was maybe thinking about self repairing if that were the case.

computer was only purchased in december.
core2duo
2gb ram
8600gt
vista

any ideAS? thanks.

Sounds like a shot motherboard due to the electricity. I can't think of a way to fix that unless you get a new motherboard. IF it was purchased in december then if you bought it you should still have a warranty on it.

See if they will replace the motherboard. If not. you need to get one yourself or get another pc to put your current HDD in to get the files off

yes yes thanks for your reply.

i also forgot to add my phone line connects directly to the mobo so that must be the obvious cause. what are the chances my other hardware is also fried? because i dont want to be buying a new motherboard if other things are busted.

yes its still under warrenty just wanted to save the hassle and fix things myself.

PSU's are fine same as gpu fans and cpu fans.

Telephone lines are very susceptible to HIGH voltages that support high enough current to damage computers.

Thus, they sell surge suppressors, etc.

Your mobo is likely baked!

If you have a second comp or a buddy with one test the other components.

Home or Rental Insurance ?

There may be light at the end of the tunnel if you have home or rental insurance. Given the fact how old the system is and how much money you have invested in the system, you can take it to any sly guy $125 per hour plus parts computer shop and get an estimate on what the replacement value is. If it is a up to date PC, they will give you an arm and a leg quote usually for repair or replacment because they have the assumption that they are going to be able to sell you a system once you have the money in hand and they usually want you to spend as much as possible.. You then take that quote and call your insurance company and they will cut you check for the replacment value. Minus the deductable of course. Take the money and buy/build a new system- preferably not from the sly guy repair shop that you took your dead system to, After all thats what you pay insurance for.

Your hard drive is likely good, but your motherboard cannot handle it. We have had 54 destroyed computers in the Santa Cruz valley this year... We have not seen the hard drives damaged in any of them, but the power supply and motherboard were shot.
Be sure to get a certified tech to inspect it so you can get reimbursed for the loss by your insurance company. They will NOT take your word for it
Be sure you get a good Joules-rated supressor or power adapter to fit between your ethernet connection and the comptuer as well as the power supply and the wall... Wal-Mart, of all places, sells three excellent power adapters rated at 3500 Joules are greater... at one third of the price of computer stores.

I would advise you to ignore the insurance angle - you will have lodged a claim and the insurance people then charge you a higher rate for having the gall to ask for what you paid for.

Take my word here. Save the claim for something MAJOR!

:)

In twelve years of lightning strikes in this valley... literally 650 machines, I do not know of a case in which that is true... though of course I have not tracked every case. We teach courses for insurance companies and reps.

Well, I am Canadian and not in your valley I am afraid. Any claim up here gets you screwed! And since we still like the Queen, Royally I might add!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back