linking another router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to take an internet line that was originaly running off a router into a computer, and put that in a new router in order to gain more ports? I hope you understand what im trying to say

[router 1]---------------------------------[router 2]-------[computer]
(full)

The reason for this is a second computer being added to router 2 becase there arent enough ports.

Thats my crappy visual :D

router one already has all of its ports full thats why I want to do this.

You may be able to configure the other router as a hub or an access point. I'm not sure if all routers can work like that.

plug in the second router (ethernet port, not wan) into an ethernet port on the first, go into the router2 config and disable DHCP and presto.

most routers can be accessed by browser url 192.168.1.1
have the first one disconnected from machine
just hook up the 2nd as if it will be the only one used
if you can't get into router there should be a hole in back that is for resetting
look up manual on router manu website should tell you how to disable dhcp

yeh.. the crossover as well.. unless you have one that autodetects the cable like mine.. but i digress..

oh.. and i forget to add as well, you may want to change the default ip address of the second router (static address that is) to 192.168.1.2 or something (last number different).. sometimes it magicaly clears up headaches :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back