Linksys Wireless Riddle only for the strong minded...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I riddle you this-

What has two antennas and is a pain in the rear? Linksys Wireless Router!

The router i have in my house works only when it wants to apparently....

I cannot, for the life of me, get a connection on the two desktops that i have in my house that are in seperate parts of the house. Both router and modem work for the 2 lap tops i have but not the desktops. The desktops have a consistent problem- a network connection for literally a second... and then it completely drops it. Part of the riddle is that one of these computers has a brand new antenna... so it is not the card on the receiving end thats causing the problem. Also, it is not a location or router strength problem because both laptops receive a a decent connection when put in the exact same location as the desktops.

What is so puzzling is that there is no reason why the computer with the new antenna shouldnt be working... its not a location problem, its not an antenna problem, its not a router/modem problem... i have no clue WHAT the problem is.

I have cable internet with a standard cable modem, a Linksys 2.4Ghz Wireless- G Router, all the computers involved run smoothly without problems (non-internet related) and have worked on this set up for quite some time till recently.. all the wireless cards are either new or functional.

I have tried moving the router/modem, i have tried changing settings (blindly..) but i have no idea what to do.

i dont know what else to say but, if anyone could help me figure this out... im not completely technologically inept but im not sure if there are some crazy settings that need to be changed or something ihavent thought of.

Help me out--

Do you have any sort of encryption or MAC address filtering going on in the router? If so, then you will need to apply those settings to the router and desktops to make sure you can get on.

Personally I'd try to disable all security on the router and make sure you can connect that way. Once you can connect, then start adding security features back, one by one.

I hope this helps. If not, please post back and we'll try to come up with something else.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

Can you got into the Router admin and see the two desktops in the DHCP Client Table. Does the router see them in other words? Try resetting the router and update the fireware from Linkys/Cisco site.

Next try connecting the desktop directly to the router using LAN patch cords and see if it connects? While the wireless is enable. They should both connect?

my ego and "know-it-all" attitude beside- im tired of having this problem so i guess ill just have to suck it up...

i have basic computer knowledge enough to get me places but not enough it seems to solve this problem. if anyone is gracious enough to give me actual instructions on how to go about executing any solution i would be very grateful. even though it pains me to say it- idont know enough about wireless networks to do this and i need some detailed help.

thanks to anyone who tries to help, i appreciate it.

Do you have manual or CD for this unit? I don't know which Linksys model you have it should say underneath (bottom) of the unit. They you would go to www.linksys.com and search for your model. Download any firmware update but don't install it until you have taken a look in your router.

You would type: in IE (internet explorer) the IP address 192.168.1.1 for example then use the default login: admin password: <-leave blank
Again this depends if you ever got in to change anything.

Shutdown all PCs when you do the below...

If you forgot then I would sugguestion you get a needle or pin to press the reset on the rear of the where he cable LAN ports are or the front if you have that feature there. Wait a few seconds..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back