Linux and Winmodems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie to red hat linux. I have an internal modem that works for windows. Obviously, what I want to do is make it work for Linux... Well... It doesn't, even after I've gone through the wizard...

No internet=boring...

Help...

It would help if you told us what chipset it was

There are free drivers for Linux for MWave and Lucent controllerless modems, as well as some Intel and Smartlink Winmodems. For Conexant HCF/HSF chips, you have to buy the drivers from Linuxant.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. The chipset for my internal modem is conexant HSFi cx11252-11. I don't really have the money to buy any available drivers online (don't have a credit card). I'd appreciate if you could help, Thanks. :D

The HSF drivers are commercial. Your best bet would be to try to find the last free version of them, HSFLinmodem. But they don't work very well

A supported hardware external modem can usually be obtained easily. A USB one is also likely to work, as they almost all use ACM, which is well supported by Linux.

lamia said:
Owwwwww... Maybe I should just buy a new modem...

Linux does *NOT* support WinModems - - name says all - - they require help from Windoz :-(

Yes, please get a real modem card :)

oops

Nodsu said:
Linux works with many winmodems. Please do not post if you do not know what you are talking about.

www.linmodems.org

Sorry for the outdated comment, but Linux in its early days did NOT do so.
My systems do not, but I've not undated them in some time and I should have consulted the hardware compatibility list before commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back