Linux VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuarowley42

Hello Everyone,

I wondering if anyone would be able to offer me any advice on setting up a connection between a linux server, and a windows client using a couple of 56k modems and a phone line. I would like the linux server to sit on an internal network, and upon a certain shell script to be run I would like the linux computer to dial the other modem (preset number) and the computer on the other end to answer.
The idea is to achieve a VPN-like connection between the two computers.
A key fact to emphasise is that the server is going to be calling the client.
Can anyone offer me any advice as to whether this is possible, and if it is what sort of software I should be using on both ends to get it working?

Thanks in advance!
Josh

Forget about the VPN word.. This is something completely different and can only work on top of an existing dialup connection.

What you need to do: set up RAS on the Windows machine. Not sure if it can be done on XP Professional. Works with any Windows Sever OS for sure.

Set up the Linux machine as usual for any dialup connection. (There may be some quirks since you are dialling to a Windows machine).

Once you get it working, you have two virtual network adapters on both machines and a connection between them. You can set up routing/ICS on the Windows machine to provide LAN access to the Linux thing.

Only now, if you are really paranoid, you can set up some sort of a VPN on top of that dialup connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back