Liteon iHBS112 Blu-ray burner w/ optical quantum discs

I have a Liteon iHBS112 blu-ray burner, that I purchased just a week or so ago. It came w/ the CL0B driver on it. I was able to burn a couple successful discs on Optical Quantum discs (OQBDR04LT-10 ) w/ ImgBurn @ 4x.
I had another drive that could burn these @ 8x w/ these same discs, so I updated the Firmware on the Liteon drive to CL0J, which is the most recent driver, to hopefully speed up the process.

I am now UNABLE to burn at all on Optical Quantum discs.
I have burnt blu-ray's on Verbatim discs.

Is it possible that a newer firmware wouldn't support a disc type that was previously supported?
This just seems nuts.

Is there a way to go back to a previous driver?

Any help would be much appreciated, as its driving me nuts!

You either got the wrong firmware update for your OS or it has some incompatability issue with your system. There is also a slim chance that the download was corrupted so you could try it again. Use this guide to remove all the existing drivers and then reinstall the new one.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

Or, you can go into Device Manager, right click on the drive and select properties, under the drivers tab click on "Roll back Driver".

If your burner only states a burn speed of 4X than there is little you are likely to be able to do about that. Slow burns are far less likely to have any errors. What speed is stated in the drives specifications.

Drive Specs

The blu-ray burner drive states burns up to 12x.
I have used another drive w/ these same Optical quantum discs and burned successfully @ 8x, even though they say 4x.

I will attempt to turn back the drivers via the way you mentioned in your reply, and post results.
Thx for your helpful suggestion.

The blu-ray burner drive states burns up to 12x.

This just means it is capable of burning up to 12X but that is limited by the specification of the disc.

I have used another drive w/ these same Optical quantum discs and burned successfully @ 8x, even though they say 4x.

If you are saying here that the disc is only rated for 4X burning then the problem is with your old machine as it should not burn a disc faster than the disc is rated at. Fast burning can only save a little time, there is nothing else to be gained from burning a disc more quickly, slower burning is less likely to have errors.

It sounds to me as if there is nothing wrong with this burner, a disc rated at 4X should be burned at 4X and not any faster or you risk errors. What's the rush?

speed not the issue anymore

Ok, so we've gotten off the point.

I originally changed the driver to speed up the burning process.
But since the driver upgrade, the drive doesn't burn at all on Optical Quantum discs, at any speed. That's the underlying issue.
I was only responding to speed questions that were being asked.
At this point, i'll take any speed setting I can get, as long as it can burn the disc.

I'll attempt to remove drivers as you suggested above in a bit here. Stuck at work now.

OK, I was getting the impression you were more concerned about the speed.

Anyway, there should be no problem with the drivers if you follow the link in Post 2. If you first go into Device Manager right click on the drive and select properties, then under the Driver tab click on Uninstall. Follow the guide in the link to make sure there are no drivers left behind and then reinstall the one that came with the burner and you will be back to square one.

Success!

Thanks Mark for your suggestions.
I was successfully able to delete the driver, and reinstall the newest drivers to allow me to burn to Optical Quantum discs @ 4x.
States available up to 8x and 10x, but I'll stick to 4x or whatever gives me a successful clean burn.

Issue Resolved.

Thanks much!

Back