Logitech G915 gaming keyboard gets a tenkeyless variant

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Logitech boasts that with its smaller size, the G915 TKL is ideal for transporting to LAN events (the good ole days – do people still do those?) or a friend’s house. Like the original, it supports 16.8 million colors through the Logitech G gaming software with a rated battery life of up to 40 hours (with RGB enabled).

Logitech on Tuesday announced a new version of its award-winning G915 Lightspeed wireless RGB mechanical gaming keyboard scheduled to go on sale next month.

Built on the same core tech as the original, the new G915 TKL adopts the tenkeyless form factor for a more compact footprint. Although a bit of a misnomer, tenkeyless is a term that typically refers to a keyboard design that is void of the numeric keypad on the right (which usually consists of 17 keys, not 10).

Many users prefer this layout, especially if physical real estate is limited. Unless you do a lot of numerical data entry, there really isn’t much of a need for the number pad these days. Most people game using the WASD layout rather than the arrow keys / num pad keys (I fall into the latter category and could never get the hang of the WASD layout).

While we’re at it, why not get rid of some other unused keys like scroll lock and pause?

The mechanical keys on the G915 TKL are half the height of standard mechanical switches and actuate 25 percent faster. Switches are offered in your choice of linear, tactile or clicky variants to match your preferred feel.

Logitech’s new G915 TKL Lightspeed wireless RGB gaming keyboard arrives in June priced at $229.

Permalink to story.

IF ONLY I HAD WAITED! LOL

I JUST bought a G815 full size keyboard (with the macro keys), wired, in clicky variant. I actually love this keyboard. It's a specific niche though, I think... not everyone will love it.

Well.. I liked this keyboard enough that I just dropped USD $250+ on their site for this model. I was looking everywhere for a TKL that had media controls just like this, and I had just bought a Logitech mouse, and really wanted a Logitech keyboard to match it. I was so skeptical whether I would feel like the G815 was worth it, but I dont feel buyers remorse personally, obviously since I'm basically buying the same keyboard but in a smaller, (also wireless) variation.

If you dont enjoy typing, or dont enjoy what you are typing on... being on a computer can just be an terrible experience... The things that you interact with the most, should get a little bit of attention, IMO. Same for the mouse, too.

I... obviously like typing a little too much now... lol

My silent diNovo Edge still going strong 12 years on.
I haven't put it in its dock for over a mth to charge.

"While we’re at it, why not get rid of some other unused keys like scroll lock and pause?"

Get rid of the PAUSE key? Never!

Quickest way to get to System Properties is WINDOWS KEY + PAUSE
(At least in Windows 7. Don't use Win10.)

For hardcore and professional gamers it's a good option, but for casual gamers, not an absolute must, especially if they need a numpad, like me for example.

I like the old one where the number pad was detachable, can't remember the name but it worked great .... until you spilled a cup of coffee on it ...... sigh ....

I don't use my numpad that much, but I want it there. I don't really use arrow keys for games, I used to, and I know some games use them, and I can't imagine using them at the edge of the keyboard, for some reason my brain just can't allow that.

I always wanted a Dinovo, and I am amazed that 12 years on they work, and hold charge like that. Bang for buck. Logitech have some good stuff. And I hear their support is pretty good.

I imagine arrow keys would suit left-handers.

I think we should universally drop numpads from keyboards. Sell them as a cheap standalone unit which you could position above the keyboard to save space or even over on the left.

I'm a big fan of reducing the width of keyboards as it brings the mouse closer to the body and is better for your shoulders. I've had pain in my shoulders before and it was from how I place the mouse.

I use a cheap compact Logitech keyboard (K360) for typing, where they moved the arrows and Home/End/etc keys into the main keyboard part and then pushed the numpad into that space. It saves a few inches on the width of the keyboard and I still have access to all keys and a full numpad but there are compromises on spacing. I wouldn't use this keyboard for extensive daily typing.

And for the love of God Logitech, bring out an updated G13 with mechanical keys and an analog thumbstick - do you like your customers giving their gaming money to Razer?. When gaming I push the keyboard out of the way (it helps that it's wireless) and play with the G13 and mouse for maximum ergonomics. What's the point in having a giant slab of plastic in front of you when you only need a few keys? If I want to type anything in-game, I can put the keyboard on my lap.

I don't use my numpad that much, but I want it there. I don't really use arrow keys for games, I used to, and I know some games use them, and I can't imagine using them at the edge of the keyboard, for some reason my brain just can't allow that.

I always wanted a Dinovo, and I am amazed that 12 years on they work, and hold charge like that. Bang for buck. Logitech have some good stuff. And I hear their support is pretty good.

Can't say much for the battery, it really seems like it only lasts roughly a day when it should last weeks or months depending on usage... I imagine it's gone bad over time, and not being properly charged/discharged. .. but still does technically work after sitting on the charger for a few.

Also, there are standalone number pads, too. Mechanical, and wireless ones at that.

I use the number pad often for GTA Online for flying vehicles, otherwise I use it to also assign some hotkeys for Discord and other software.

Back