Logitech reveals plans to jettison Harmony remote control division

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Logitech has revealed plans to jettison their Harmony remote control and digital video security divisions. The news comes directly from newly appointed CEO Bracken P Darrell follow disappointing fiscal third quarter results.

Darrell said the results were unacceptable and they were taking decisive action based on the outcome of his strategic review. The executive did note that he was pleased with the continued demand for their Ultrathin Keyboard Cover – the best selling product in their entire catalog.

The decision to shed the Harmony division comes as part of an overall restructuring effort. Sales of Harmony remotes reportedly fell 55 percent based on units, leaving the company little choice but to ditch the unit and focus on PC-related products as well as tablet accessories and wireless speakers.

All other non-strategic products are also getting the axe, we’re told. One has to wonder if this includes webcams or if that would fall under Logitech’s definition of PC-related accessories.

In the event that you own a Harmony remote or any other product on the chopping block, you can rest easy with regards to product support and warranty coverage. Darrell reportedly addressed this in the company’s support forums, saying Logitech would continue to provide support during the sale process and that existing warranties are still valid.

Much like others in the industry, Logitech cited a continued weakness in the global PC market as one of the reasons for poor results. Specifically, sales in Europe were even lower than expected. They recorded a net loss of $195 million based on sales of $615 million.

No word yet on who might be interested in buying the Harmony division.

Permalink to story.

Good riddens. I always found Logitech's remotes wanting. They seem way too expensive given the limits that are place on them. Some costing more than 300 bucks are still limited in how many devices they can control. I understand it is a niche market, but they did nothing to really innovate just like the phone manufacturers waited until Apple came along. In this case it might have been the smartphones eating at this market.

Id still like to see a good universal remote with IR, RF abilities that support almost unlimited devices.

Bad move by Logitech; that market is poised for growth in 2013 with home automation and electronics becoming integrated and all.

LOL you think Harmony remotes are expensive you my friend need to look around more. Maybe URC (Universal Remote Control) would be a better choice say the MX-1200 for a retail price of $999.00 not including the RF base station. Remember when you say comments like that reflecting your wallet that others don't mind paying those prices with their wallets

Good riddens. I always found Logitech's remotes wanting. They seem way too expensive given the limits that are place on them. Some costing more than 300 bucks are still limited in how many devices they can control. I understand it is a niche market, but they did nothing to really innovate just like the phone manufacturers waited until Apple came along. In this case it might have been the smartphones eating at this market.

Id still like to see a good universal remote with IR, RF abilities that support almost unlimited devices.

I really like the Harmony remotes as well. Hope someone decent picks those up.

LOL you think Harmony remotes are expensive you my friend need to look around more. Maybe URC (Universal Remote Control) would be a better choice say the MX-1200 for a retail price of $999.00 not including the RF base station. Remember when you say comments like that reflecting your wallet that others don't mind paying those prices with their wallets

lol agreed!

Of of my friends owns a Tv installation business and he sells $1000 remotes he doesn't even look at $300 logitech harmony remotes!

What a shame, I really enjoy the harmony line of remotes.

Agreed I've been using a Harmony one for a few years now and love it. This saddens me!

I may have to grab the newest model they release before they are taken off the market.

I apologize if I offened anyone... really. I was not trolling. :)

There is no doubt in my mind that their are people willing to pay for these, are happy with them, and yes I'm aware that prices for other products can be way more... I just personally did not see the value for me and have been frustrated waiting for something I would just love from their productline up. I did not stop to think about all the people that could be worried about the support of their current investment being cut off. So sorry for my jerk reaction (erhum... the pun was not intended.)

Back