Logon process initialization failure

Doug8765

Hi -
When I try to boot my HP Compaq laptop I get this message in a dialog box.

This computer has been overheating and either powers down itself or we power it down.

Here's what is in the dialog box:
Logon Process Initialization Failure​
Interactive logon process initialization has failed​
Please consult the event log for more details.​
Then an OK button.​

After I press OK I get a black blank screen. I turned off the computer.

What should I do? Your help will be appreciated.

Doug Roberts

Hi -
The problem is not fixed.

I was able to boot in command mode and run SFC /SCANNOW. That ran and now I can boot in safe mode.

When I do a regular boot I still get the Logon Process Initialization Failure, but now I cannot get out of it without powering off.

Doug

You really need to get the laptop serviced for over-heating. To install that hotfix, fill out the information asked for and "request" the hotfix. You should be able to download it and unzip it and install it that way... FYI, hotfix has nothing to do with over-heating

Hi Tmagic650 -
Thanks for the admonition on overheating. It would be helpful to get the computer working first.

Now, how do I install the hotfix? I've got it on the disabled computer, but clicking on it does not install it. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with being in Safe mode.

Doug

Do you have any recovery options available when starting up? You can't install hotfixes in Safe Mode

Hi Tmagic650 -
What recovery options do you refer? I don't have a recovery disk.

I don't know that this hotfix would fix the initialization problem.

Doug

You never know about hotfix success until the problem is gone. Most laptops have a recovery partition on the hard drive, that contains the OS, drivers and programs that were originally installed on the laptop. To access this recovery partition, there is usually a F key press that activates the recovery options on the first boot up screen

Hi Tmagic650 -
The esc key got me to a recovery section and I was able to go to a recent restore point, which saved all the programs and data (at first I thought I would have to restore to a fresh version of Windows, which would lose the programs but would save the data). Everything appears to be working now, except for the overheating.

What's the story with overheating? Is this end-of-life for the computer or a straightforward repair?

This computer sometimes lasts 12 hours and sometimes 1 hour. Seems to be getting shorter in duration.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug

Okay Doug, good on the recovery :) Laptops run hot normally and over time the CPU thermal compound or pads become hard and brittle. They will need to be replaced by a computer service tech. Also dust and other debris collects inside the CPU cooling assembly and fan(s). This can be cleaned while changing the thermal paste or pads

Hi -
I changed the power setting to power save and that seems to make a substantial difference. I'll also see about cleaning the vent as well.

Thank you. Thank you.

Doug

Back