London beats Paris to get 2012 Olympics

Mikael

I must say that I am surprised that Paris didn't get the Olympics for 2012.

The British capital overcame its cross-Channel opponent 54-50 Wednesday on the fourth ballot of the
International Olympic Committee vote, capping the most glamorous and hotly contested bid race in Olympic history.

Linkage.

Britain, du, du, du
Britain, du, du, du
Thank God London and Britain finally get the recognition it deserves. I was sure they were going to vote Paris, cos of the ilusion that it is a hotbed of culture.

The main reason I thought Paris would get the Olympics was that they already have some facilities that could be used for the games.

For 15 straight years, London has been voted Europe's best city for business by Cushman & Wakefield Healey & Bakers European Cities Monitor. London's per capita income is far higher than the European Union average, and the city is startlingly flush with luxury cars.
That probably didn't help Paris very much. :dead: :blackeye:

I'm devistated. Reasons I live here in East London just 2 miles from the site and will have to put up with all the congestion during the building. Also I'll be paying for it.

Although it may be bad for a few years, it may herald in a wash of economic and cultural benefits.

Not really...
I can sometimes delve into politics, much to the annoyance of my friends. I was just repeating things that I saw on the news, apparantly many Olympic hosting countries have had their economy and tourist industries reinvigorated by the Olympics.

Once I challenged my regions MP when we were having a discussion in a school activity. It was funny watching him squirm under his poorly coordinated schemes :D

my only problem with london (and the rest of most of europe for that matter) is the street layout. and by layout i mean seemingly random dead-ends and general crookedness. i think it's safe to say the foreigners attending said event are going to need a lot of directing and maps.

I remember being in a small town in France last year, it was like a Labyrinth. I had to use the harbour as a landmark.

Look on it as a challenge Zephead. It does help if you get a proper street map rather than relying on a free bus maps that has half of the streets missing. For the utmost fun do as a lot of tourist do and use a tube (subway) map. This is a wonderful piece of design that suits its purpose admirably. However it bears little relationship to geographical layout of the town.

Back