Long POST - 10+ minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know all my wife's system specs off the top of my head, but I do have the motherboard model number - ASUS P7P55 LX, 4GB RAM

The problem:

The computer takes an exceptionally long time posting. When the ASUS splashscreen hits, I can press Tab and wait 60 seconds for it to show me the POST messages. From there I can watch it print half of each line of text before printing the other, with a 30 second delay between the two. It's immediately slow right at boot, not just when it hits the OS. Even screen refreshes between displays takes so long the monitor thinks it can go to sleep, but gets woken up moments later. It doesn't just flicker between them.

This issue started yesterday morning, and I spent all of last night "fighting" with it. It took over 4 hours to flash the bios - 40 to boot to Windows (which worked normally once running), copy BIOS update to C: drive, 140 minutes to reboot to ASUS EZ Flash 2 (gave up and rebooted), 30 minutes to reboot to ASUS EZ Flash 2, 20 minutes to flash the BIOS, and another 40 minutes to boot to Windows again (which persisted in working normally once running).

I had previously reseated everything from the memory to hard drive and nothing seemed out of place or loose.

Tonight I'm going to start with a complete strip-down of everything except the video card, motherboard, and CPU to see if it boots normally with the memory, HDD, and CDROM removed. If it does, I'll add in parts one at a time to see which is the problem. I'm not feeling hopeful at this point that it's anything but the motherboard, but I'll try.

We are experiencing a hot/humid streak where we live, but the chasiss temp readout is holding at 80-85 degrees F, even when running. My computer has been unaffected, and it's been hot and humid more than once since we built this computer for her.

Are there any other suggestions on what to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back