Look at all of the Radeon VII benchmarks available now

Greg S

Highly anticipated: All of the numbers from AMD's GPU announcement have been aggregated for ease of comparison. Although independent benchmarks are not yet available, here is a small taste of how results might shake out.

Following the AMD's presentation of the 7nm Radeon VII gaming GPU, everyone was left wondering how exactly it stacks up against Nvidia's RTX 2080. Upon further analysis, there are quite a few benchmarks available spread throughout all of the press release. Note that these are still AMD's own benchmarks and not the usual comprehensive testing done once GPUs are in the hands of third parties.

In AMD's comparison between the RX Vega 64 and Radeon VII, there are some important hardware choices to note right out of the gate. An Intel Core i7-7700K paired with 16GB of DDR4 3000MHz memory was used for both GPUs in an unknown motherboard. Resolution for all games was set to 4K with "Max Settings" applied.

As noted upon initial announcement, the Radeon VII does in fact appear to be between 25 percent and 35 percent faster than a Vega 64, with an average frame rate increase of 28.6 percent. The table below was put together by HardOCP:

However, things get a little more interesting when attempting to compare the Radeon VII to the RTX 2080, which is really what everyone is itching to know. AMD used Strange Brigade as one of the games for comparison. Between the Vega 64 and Radeon VII, there is an exceptionally large jump in that title.

Running on the Vulkan API instead of DirectX, there is even less surprise as to why AMD might have picked that specific game for comparison. After all, Vulkan was originally derived from parts of AMD's Mantle API. Battlefield V and Far Cry 5 both show no noticeable gains for the Radeon VII over the RTX 2080.

Overall, results still do look fairly promising for the Radeon VII, but the jury is definitely still out on whether it will be able to beat the RTX 2080 in the core group of trending games.

Permalink to story.

I hope the side by side comparisons show a clear win for the 2080Ti, and if by chance the AMD competitor wins, I'd say it's time to drop the RTX TITAN XR on em.

Blow em away.

I don't understand why people are so butt hurt about this launch. It's competition that is needed. Not the best of competition but at least it is some competition. This will make both AMD and Nvidia push harder on the next gen. Which this gen sorely lacked. AMD and Nvidia have always traded blows on which product is better at which games. None of this is new but people seem to freak out when every card is released.

It's obvious that the route that AMD took with hbm didn't pan out. But at least they are getting money from Ryzen to put into a new graphics card architecture (hopefully this is Navi). And I'm sure this release will cause the Vega 56 and 64 to drop in price. Which is good for consumers. But stupid fanboyism is what got us the 20xx series cards with Nvidia thinking they can do whatever they want to and people will pay it. That's why we have a new generation cards that are the same price as the previous generation but with the same benchmark results. But with ray tracing that is pretty much useless.

People talking about RayTracing, trashed it 2 weeks ago, now trashing AMD for not having it, and neither the people who paid $1k for it have it, AI, in the gaming market? I mean are you really bragging about that? are you even programming the next Tesla System?

It reminds me of the first Ryzen single threaded performance when they used 4k for benchmark.
I think they will not be able to make any good deal until they control the power consumption

I have to wonder what AMD might have in store for their next gen gpus if these gains are only as a result of a die shrink.

I compared with a bunch of benchmarks from a few sites (techpower up\guru3d etc) and it looks like it's slightly faster than the rtx2080 depending on the game. Will see if this holds up when we see some testing from here.

I hope the side by side comparisons show a clear win for the 2080Ti, and if by chance the AMD competitor wins, I'd say it's time to drop the RTX TITAN XR on em.

Blow em away.

Only if you like playing space invaders.

Nvidia: screwing over their stock holders, selling $1300 gpus that are unreliable, overhyping RTX and being headed by the most arrogant CEO I have seen in a while.

Call me a fanboy, but more and more are sick of nvidias crap.

Nvidia: screwing over their stock holders, selling $1300 gpus that are unreliable, overhyping RTX and being headed by the most arrogant CEO I have seen in a while.

If the stock holders were stupid enough to invest based on Cryptocurrency inflated gains, then to hell with em.

As long as MY COMPUTER is powerful and traces rays, nothing else matters.

One thing of note that was mentioned in the presentation at CES is that AMD is bundling $150 worth of games with the card.

I don't play many games, so I have no idea whether those games are good, but there must be some value in that. If one deducts the cost of the games from the price of the card, then the card costs $550.

If it does as well in compute as their other cards do, there are people in that market segment that will buy it, too. That is one arena where AMD currently is giving nVidia a run for the money.

It is about time competition returns to the market. It is not a 20XX series killer at least from these benchmarks, but the competition, IMO, is just as important.

It won't be that much longer until it officially releases. Credible benchmarks at release will tell the whole story.

If the stock holders were stupid enough to invest based on Cryptocurrency inflated gains, then to hell with em.

As long as MY COMPUTER is powerful and traces rays, nothing else matters.

So it is the long term stock holders fault that nvidia overstocked their supply when betting on crypto mining sales? Turon is a gimmick and offers nothing over Pascal.

Enjoy you $1300 'Rays' on BF5. The PCMR needs something to rally around.

I don't understand why people are so butt hurt about this launch. It's competition that is needed. Not the best of competition but at least it is some competition. This will make both AMD and Nvidia push harder on the next gen. Which this gen sorely lacked. AMD and Nvidia have always traded blows on which product is better at which games. None of this is new but people seem to freak out when every card is released.

It's obvious that the route that AMD took with hbm didn't pan out. But at least they are getting money from Ryzen to put into a new graphics card architecture (hopefully this is Navi). And I'm sure this release will cause the Vega 56 and 64 to drop in price. Which is good for consumers. But stupid fanboyism is what got us the 20xx series cards with Nvidia thinking they can do whatever they want to and people will pay it. That's why we have a new generation cards that are the same price as the previous generation but with the same benchmark results. But with ray tracing that is pretty much useless.

HBM is paying off just fine in the server and laptop design wins they are getting, and AMD chooses to use HBM lol - they could use GDDR6 if they wanted to.

At 250W TDP the Radeon VII would make much sense to everyone, especially people in the warmer climate. I'm guessing this card use as much power as VEGA 64 LC edition.

It seems it's a Vega 64 shrink to 7nm. It has some tweaks (doubled up the back end, ROPS and memory bus) but not a major overhaul. I find it interesting however that they are only enabling 60 clusters and not the 64 on a full size Vega die. Presumably there is still 64 clusters on this die?

I wonder if there is potential for a slightly higher version if they manage to improve yields. An extra 4 clusters could have made it a bit more impressive.

This is clearly not really a gaming card just looking at the memory configuration and inclination towards compute performance. AMD need to separate their product lines to compete better.

Last edited:

Blow em away.
Will you be spending $3000 on a high 1$/performance card just to make an insecure statement for NIVDIA...if so...shes using you for your money!

Why would most user care about how big Nvidias (*your own*) pecker is? LOL...Nvidia can keep increasing their price and go the way of the iphone x. 4k is a waste on a monitor...1440p is plenty with high refresh and the 2080, 1180, 1080ti, Vega VII are plenty for that. Even cards much lower in performance can achieve 1440p stable.

Improve stability and features...and you can get your *blow away.

Blow em away.

Good point. I wish media would give more emphasis with this kind of behavior or a kind of a recall in each nvidia or any other computer related corp. people have a tendency to have memory problems over time. This would help it.

It seems it's a Vega 64 shrink to 7nm. It has some tweaks (doubled up the back end, ROPS and memory bus) but not a major overhaul. I find it interesting however that they are only enabling 60 clusters and not the 64 on a full size Vega die. Presumably there is still 64 clusters on this die?

I wonder if there is potential for a slightly higher version if they manage to improve yields. An extra 4 clusters could have made it a bit more impressive.

This is clearly not really a gaming card just looking at the memory configuration and inclination towards compute performance. AMD need to separate their product lines to compete better.

The 4 could be a hold back whereby they seem impressive at first, the competition matches or exceeds that, then AMD releases an "update" that turns on the 4 to increase performance and the competition is like, "Wuh!?? How they do that!?"

So if it’s the same price and performance as a 2080 I wouldn’t really call it competition. As the 2080 offers DLSS, Ray tracing and CUDA. It needs to be cheaper than a 2080 for it to be competitive...

Back