Looking for a good monitor

You wont get a definitve answer i bet, cause there are different needs for everyone, like are you using it for photo editing, gaming or films etc ?
If you give the main uses for the monitor i am sure someone will give plenty of ideas,

I have just bought a Hanns-G HZ281 and its a brilliant monitor for the money ;) i do photo edditing and 3D animation and rendering.

So the Hanns-G is my thumbs up ;)

I do a lot of coding and essay writing. I also look at photos from digital cameras and go to various websites. I sometimes watch tv shows online. The only game I play is Sims 3 (and I don't play it that much).

EDIT: the two Samsungs are pretty much the same except the B2430H has a higher contrast ratio and supports HDMI. For only $10 it's worth it. BUT I noticed it's customer ratings are always lower than the 2494SW.

Samsung overallmakes great monitors. I have a SyncMaster 2494 and love it but its max resolution in 1920x1080.

What is your budget?

Also, certainly not expert driven you'll still get a whole lot more customer feedback on monitors at NewEgg.com.

When your paying budget prices you will always have the problem of quality issues, i.e. bleeding, refresh rate, colour / contrast, resolution.

I was in your shoes litterally 2 weeks ago and i went with the best all round specs i could afford. There is never a perfect one at budgest prices only happy mediums, i know its not an answer but if you have a budget limit just get the best resolution you can with the least bleed etc.

All the makes i looked at for the money i wanted to spend included,

Viewsonic
Hanns-G
BenQ
Samsung
Iiyama

They all vary in different ways but all out perform in others ! there isnt really an answer just opinions, and the best opinions are from those who own the models you look at, google is great for that. I found a brilliant thread at overclockers for the Hanns-G which pretty much sold it to me. The feedback from users totally blew the shop online reviews out the water.

Hope this helps in some way and good luck with your pick ;)

Back