Looking for advice on purchasing a laptop

Chronus

I've gone ahead an ordered the y510p, Thanks for the help.

I live in Indiana, USA

My current laptop has probably died on my graphics wise, and I'm planning on getting a new laptop. Whether or not Wal-Mart abides by the warranty I purchased from them.

It's the sort of screen corruption seen when the integrated graphics are shot. The laptop probably needs a new motherboard. Playing high intensity video games for long periods on laptops isn't a good idea unless they have been designed to do the job. That warranty should come in handy.

With this in mind, I want to purchase a laptop that can handle prolonged gaming, as that is my primary use for the laptop. The secondary usage is for my college courses. As I have not spent much time comparing computer products, I'm not sure where to begin my search, or what to look for.

~~~~~

My current laptop is an Inspiron N5050
Intel Core i3-2330M Processor
4GB Memory
Integrated Intel HD Graphics (Stupid no 3D shadow shading)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Dell Stage software

The main games I play are Minecraft, Pay Day 2, and League of Legends. I would like to play games such as cube world, Planet Side 2 without lag as I have invested money into them, but not had that much opportunity to play extensively due to current lag issues.

For most games I'm used to playing with the graphics more or less on minimum to get the best FPS out of the games as I can. So I am more than happy to play games around 30-40 FPS, at whatever settings.

~~~

For me, being able to play games is the larger focus for me. If it can do that well enough, I don't really care about the other features.

Don't Need:

I almost always have the laptop plugged into power whether I'm at home or at school.

I don't watch movies that much, nor do I burn disks, so a normal DvD Player is fine.

I never have used a touchscreen, and see no need to make having one a priority, a mouse is fine.

At the moment, I never use a webcam, and have no plans to use one in the near future.

Do Need:

I do need wireless connection. I use the wireless when at home, and at school.

I use the laptop on the desk at home and at school. I also use it sitting on my lap in bed, though usually on a cooling fan. So having something that is less likely to burn my legs or make them over heat is a plus.

Financing:

I am looking to spend $750-$1250 on the new laptop. I would like to purchase where I can get a warranty on the laptop, in-case something does go wrong. Quality for its price is what I'm looking for, with my needs/don't needs in mind. If I can get the same gaming quality for cheaper not having one of the things I don't need, all the better.

~~~

With these things in mind, are there laptops you guys can recommend, or things I should keep an eye out for when looking at laptops?

Bought my son a Sager from Xotic PC. They certainly build gaming systems and they give you some latitude to configure. Their customer service is excellent. I never heard of them before until I went here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ and through research - a ton of research - I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Other excellent companies are PC Digital, Power Notebooks, and Mythlogic. Seriously, check them out.

A lot of good information on that site, thank you!

At this point in time, my wife is saying that I should be looking to spend around $700, not much more than that.

You are welcome. :) Save up an additional $500 and you'll get yourself a good system.

Well, talking with people from the other site, I've think I've narrowed it down to two options.

One is getting the Y510P for around $819
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

The other is building the Entry-Level desktop rig from buying guide from here. Its looking like it will be around $750 ($715 with the $35 rebates) with 2 year ADH warranty, shipping, and operating system.

So not much cheaper than the Y510P while its on sale. But it should be good enough to last me a while, with the potential to upgrade the components later on down the line.
TechSpot PC Buying Guide > The Entry-Level Rig - TechSpot

I already have peripherals, including a dell ultrasharp 1704fpt 17 in flat panel LCD monitor. So I won't need to purchase those.

If I did this, and just kept the laptop for schoolwork, and primarily gamed on the desktop; Do you think this would be a better situation long term, or should I still go with a laptop for everything?

I mainly use the laptop on my desk, in bed, or taking it to school. But I don't NEED to take it anywhere. If my claim is accepted on my broken laptop, I'll either sell it if I get a new laptop. Or keep it for school work if I get the desktop.

The Y510P is on sale until the 14th, so I have until the 13th to make my decision, and am looking at long term, 3-4 years down the road once I've finished school.

I've decided it will be best to go with a laptop.

I've narrowed it down to three laptops, and I would like input as to the better deal.

Two different versions of the Y510p laptop; however, most of the cons I've read about have to deal with the 5400 RPM that both versions have. Also I have never used a Windows 8, and so am unsure about it.

IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59369999
$913.99

• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
• Windows 8 64
• NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 15.6" HD LED Glossy Wedge 1366x768
• 1TB 5400 RPM
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
• Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• Integrated HD Camera
• HDMI (Out)
• 2YR Depot + Accidental Damage Protection

IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59370005
$1,093.99

• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
• Windows 8 64
• NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 15.6" FHD LED Glossy Wedge 1920x1080
• 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
• Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• Integrated HD Camera
• HDMI (Out)
• 2YR Depot + Accidental Damage Protection

Are the 25GB SSD, and the FHD really worth the $200 extra?

Sager NP4650
$1,108.00

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz)
• Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition
• 2GB GDDR3 Nvidia GeForce GT 740M GPU with Optimus Technology / Embedded Intel HD Graphics
• 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
• 15.6" IPS Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)
• 750GB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
• 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
• Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
• Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
• IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
• Sager 2 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

This has the 7200rpm, though it does not have an SSD.
I never really am outside with the laptop, so I'm not sure if a Matte Finish will do much for me.
I did opt for $25 IC Diamond Thermal Compound and the $15 Windows 7.

I've gone ahead an ordered the y510p. Just today it's price dropped about $70 cinching the deal for me. Thank you guys for your help and suggestions.

Back