Lost my network on one machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suddenly and for no apparent reason (except for maybe Nortons product update) my Windows 2000 machine cannot see any of the other PCs on my home network. The connection to the network is through my router, which also provides my internet connection, and that is still working (using it now to write this).
All the other PCs can still see each other, so I assume alls well with all the other machines.
Its strange to me, I can log onto the internet no problems, but bringing up the local network on Windows Explorer shows nothing, just some network path not found message. All my folders that I had previously shared are still shared, and as far as I can see my network setting are unchanged.

I had initially suspected that Norton's product update had disabled networking to prevent me vurus scanning other PCs (which I've never done and don't know if its possible) but so far uninstalling NAV hasn't reinstated my networking.

Any clue anyone?

Have you tried accessing the computer with their ip addresses instead of computer name? meaning instead of typing \\Laptop, try typing \\192.168.x.x (or whatever ip's you are using)

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

poertner_1274 said:
Have you tried accessing the computer with their ip addresses instead of computer name? meaning instead of typing \\Laptop, try typing \\192.168.x.x (or whatever ip's you are using)

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Nope, not working either :) I pinged xxx.xxx.x.x and got no reply which is odd because that's where the internet connection is coming from :S

*edit* BTW thanks for the welcome :D

*edit 2* Erk... just redid the ping thing again, this time without the \\, seems fine :D

Can see the router, but not the other PCs IP addresses connected to the router.

I think he was meaning to hit put \\192.168.x.x in the run box, not pinging it.

He's suggesting that you may have a name resolution problem I believe.

Bleah, got it sorted :D

Turns out the router had decided, for reasons known only to itself, to give a different IP out to this one PC. So all the other PC's firewalls were looking out for the wrong IP. I wondered why losing the firewall totally on this PC was having no effect, it was all the other firewalls not seeing the right IP.

Weird, but at least it's sorted.
Thanks for the suggestions & help, appreciated :)

If your router is set ups for DHCP you probably got a new address when rebooting at some point. Most routers have an option to make sure that a specific mac address always gets a specific ip address. Or you could use static IPs.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back