Low level format and second drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been encountering several problems with a large 2nd hard drive that I am trying to use as a slave for extra storage. I would like to eventually run a different OS on this drive and use it for my multimedia purposes while still keeping the C drive for internet and home office.
The problem is this...the drive is recognized as D: when it is hooked up as slave (jumper settings correct on both) and I try to format it from within XP it says that only 31GB are available. The drive is a 160GB Maxtor drive and I just formatted and partitioned it with maxblast 3 to have 2 80GB partitions. The drive has had several OS installations in the past and has encountered errors when copying files to it. I thought a low level format might do the trick but can not seem to get that to work.
I removed the primary drive (the one im using now) and set the 160GB drive up as master. I used the maxtor low level utility (MAXLLF) or at least tried to. I downlaoded it to a floppy and extracted the application on the floppy disk. I tried using the floppy at start-up but nothing happens except for the computer just restarting itself again and again. I tried setting up the drive as slave and booting the computer with the floppy disk but can't get it to run. What am I doing wrong? Could someone please explain the way to low level format or why the drive is only seen as 31GB's in XP? Thanks, James

What were you trying to format the drive as?
You cannot format FAT32 partitions bigger than 32GB in Windows XP.

ARe you sure? Right now I have an 80GB hard drive that is FAT32 and using XP home. How would that be possible then? James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back