Lumia 535 is the first Microsoft-branded Windows Phone

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Microsoft has finally waved goodbye to the Nokia brand, with the newly announced entry-level device Lumia 535 becoming the first smartphone to carry the Microsoft branding.

Measuring 140.2 x 72.45 x 8.8 mm and weighing 146 grams, the device sports a 5-inch qHD display (960 x 540), a 1.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 processor, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, which can be further expanded up to 128GB via a microSD card slot, 5-megapixel front and rear cameras, and 1,905 mAh removable battery which the company claims allows for GSM talk time of up to 11 hours. 

“Innovation should be available to everyone, and we are doing this through the very best integrated Microsoft services free and out-of-the-box, a 5 MP wide-angle front-facing camera and a spacious 5 inch, qHD screen – all at an affordable price”, said Microsoft's corporate vice president for phones Jo Harlow.

On the software side, the Lumia 535 brings along five "free integrated Microsoft experiences", including built-in Skype integration, 15GB of free OneDrive cloud storage, the pre-installed Microsoft Office suite, the Cortana digital assistant, and Microsoft Outlook. 

Microsoft says the Lumia 535 will launch later this month in Russia, Ukraine, China, Indonesia, and the Philippines, followed by Australia, Vietnam, Thailand, and some African countries in December, and Latin America in January next year. Although the Redmond-based company has promised the device will launch in the UK, it hasn't specified exactly when. There are, however, no plans for a US launch.

The Lumia 535 will sell for roughly $135, although the price will vary from country to country.

Permalink to story.

Pretty lame that they didn't introduce something high-end as their first MS branded phone.

I've loved the lumia phones since they have been released, but something about having microsoft plastered all over the phone makes me not want it. Nokia only put their logo on it in one place, above the ear piece. Even then it was a very dark grey text that is hard to see. The bright white microsoft text is very unappealing. When I buy a product I want to be looking at the product, not the logo.

I've loved the lumia phones since they have been released, but something about having microsoft plastered all over the phone makes me not want it. Nokia only put their logo on it in one place, above the ear piece. Even then it was a very dark grey text that is hard to see. The bright white microsoft text is very unappealing. When I buy a product I want to be looking at the product, not the logo.
You are talking crap!!! I am looking at my Lumia phone as I type this and the visibility of the Nokia logo is the same as the Microsoft logo, the back of the phone is the same. The positioning of it all is exactly the same as well, so I don't know where you get this business of, "having microsoft plastered all over the phone makes me not want it". Only difference is that the Microsoft logo is perhaps a bit longer and that is the only difference.
So its fine, just admit it that you don't like Microsoft as a company and get over yourself. The words, "Dumb-a55" could of been printed on it and you would have preferred it over Microsoft. Its got nothing to do with where or how prominent the logo is, if it says the words, "Microsoft" on it, its automatically a bad product not worth your time, did I get your reasoning right?

You are talking crap!!! I am looking at my Lumia phone as I type this and the visibility of the Nokia logo is the same as the Microsoft logo, the back of the phone is the same. The positioning of it all is exactly the same as well, so I don't know where you get this business of, "having microsoft plastered all over the phone makes me not want it". Only difference is that the Microsoft logo is perhaps a bit longer and that is the only difference.
So its fine, just admit it that you don't like Microsoft as a company and get over yourself. The words, "Dumb-a55" could of been printed on it and you would have preferred it over Microsoft. Its got nothing to do with where or how prominent the logo is, if it says the words, "Microsoft" on it, its automatically a bad product not worth your time, did I get your reasoning right?

I've been using Lumia devices since the release of windows phone 7 and very much like the WP ecosystem. Nokia's brand is subtle and they sure as hell don't plaster "NOKIA" in huge letters on the back of their device. My 1520 has very dark grey letters on it saying "nokia" above the earpiece. The high saturated backing on the 535 makes black MS name take over the back of an otherwise very attractive looking phone. On the front of the device, the white MS branding on the black digitizer is quite distracting.

I guess there are fanboy's for any product that will see constructive criticism as a personal attack.

As a side note, it seems that the buttons for the 535 are onscreen, what **** idea. Sacrificing valuable screen real estate for buttons that could easily be on the lower front of the device. I really hope doesn't Microsoft doesn't ruin the Lumia name because I really don't like other smartphones on the market.

2 yrs before M$oft jump ship. Without the Nokia brand this phone is already DEAD!!!

"You are talking crap!!! I am looking at my Lumia phone as I type this and the visibility of the Nokia logo is the same as the Microsoft logo, the back of the phone is the same. The positioning of it all is exactly the same as well, so I don't know where you get this business of, "having microsoft plastered all over the phone makes me not want it". Only difference is that the Microsoft logo is perhaps a bit longer and that is the only difference.

So its fine, just admit it that you don't like Microsoft as a company and get over yourself. The words, "Dumb-a55" could of been printed on it and you would have preferred it over Microsoft. Its got nothing to do with where or how prominent the logo is, if it says the words, "Microsoft" on it, its automatically a bad product not worth your time, did I get your reasoning right?"

What an impressive load of crap you have there, it seem you got frustrated from having a bad day and then put your anger here, try find another place please. And I tend to agree with yRaz said before.

This sounds just like an updated Lumia 525 to me which itself wasn't a bad phone so this one is already looking good in the entry/low mid level segment. MS will no doubt release a flagship phone in the coming future.

Back