Mafia III launches on PC with 30 FPS cap

Scorpus

Staff member

Mafia III is a contender for worst PC port of the year. The game, which is now available through Steam, is plagued with numerous issues including an unforgivable cardinal sin: a 30 frame per second cap.

While 30 FPS may be acceptable for console gamers, frame rate caps should never be implemented in PC titles. The ability to play games at 60 FPS or higher is one of the main advantages to PC gaming, any any cap just shows that the studios involved, in this case developer Hangar 13 and publisher 2K Games, don't understand the PC gaming market.

Understandably Mafia III is being slammed in Steam reviews for its 30 FPS cap, and gamers are also reporting several other issues: in game textures are blurry, there are a number of problems with the interface (especially above 1080p), and there is no support for multi-GPU systems.

A message posted on the Mafia III website acknowledges the issue, and states that "the team has been hard at work ensuring that Mafia III’s performance is consistent across all platforms, and right now the game runs at a solid 30 frames-per-second." In other words, the developer implemented a 30 FPS cap on console and didn't bother removing it for the PC version.

The good news is that a patch is being developed that will "give players the option to play Mafia III at higher framerates." 2K Games will release more details "very soon" about the update and when it will arrive. The team is also considering a number of "additional post-launch improvements on PC that would give players more control over how they can tailor the game’s experience to suit their rig’s performance."

For now, you should probably hold off purchasing Mafia III on PC until these issues are resolved.

Permalink to story.

For now, you should probably hold off purchasing Mafia III on PC until these issues are resolved.

Ain't no 'probably' to it.

Was considering purchasing week one, but will wait for it in the bargain bin or perhaps a Steam summer sale. Bugs are forgivable (Arkham Knight notwithstanding), but requiring a patch to play above 30fps is, frankly, a comical blunder.

Mafia II had this same issue with the 30 fps cap. There was a 'mod' of sorts you could use that would open it up to 60+ fps, but still. why the @#$% would you cap the PC version of Mafia III at 30 fps?!? Did 2K Games not learn anything from the PC community bashing 2K about this very same issue when Mafia II came out?

Well, maybe down the road we'll get a patch to fix this.. #PCMasterRace :p

Gamers buy unfinished games and make excuses for them when there are problems, because games are their life. I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen someone defend issues in a beta, because all beta issues get resolved by the time they hit retail. Gamers are stupid. Period. The suits are stupid too, but they can't pull the strings if stupid gamers stop handing it to them.

Obviously there is no cure for pure stupidity, so we just have to get used to dealing with these issues as they come. And to the smart people out there - no matter how much you like a game... stop pre-ordering, and read some damn reviews first!

Stupidity: People that get so excited about a game that they will actually pay extra to play a game up to a week before everyone else.

Last edited:
I would love to be in the room to hear the discussion when this was brought up presumably early as a big problem with the port. It was obviously a case of "well it all gets pirated anyways".

Ridiculous. I'm a prolific game purchaser, but I won't touch a game that has this kind of limitations on it.

Why make a pc port with a 30 fps cap?
Many many PC gamers have been using 144Hz monitors for quite a while and this is how they target this market? Undoubtedly this is the planet of the apes....

Just shows what gaming industry has become. And it's going to continue as long as people keep buying games early and preordering them. If you preordered a game and it turned out **** you pretty much got what you deserved.

Man, those trailers got me so hyped for this game so it's a real bummer that the PC port turned out to be hot garbage. A 30fps cap ensures that I won't even pay attention to the Mafia series again, let alone think about buying Mafia III.

Ain't no 'probably' to it.

Was considering purchasing week one, but will wait for it in the bargain bin or perhaps a Steam summer sale. Bugs are forgivable (Arkham Knight notwithstanding), but requiring a patch to play above 30fps is, frankly, a comical blunder.
Wait for the Steam sale.

Mafia II had this same issue with the 30 fps cap. There was a 'mod' of sorts you could use that would open it up to 60+ fps, but still. why the @#$% would you cap the PC version of Mafia III at 30 fps?!? Did 2K Games not learn anything from the PC community bashing 2K about this very same issue when Mafia II came out?

Well, maybe down the road we'll get a patch to fix this.. #PCMasterRace :p
Mafia II has a 30 FPS cap? I have that in my backlog and I was planning to play it soon! How well does the "mod" work? Could I use Nvidia Inspector to change the FPS limit?

This is EXACTLY why console ports will never work. The dev 2k games have made PC games before they damn well know better. This can ONLY be seen as intentional, no way about it. Another way to get PC players to switch to consoles. This is all planned as these companies know the market better than anyone, don't let them say otherwise cause it's a lie.

Back