Making a laptop cooler

Nitrogen

Hey everyone,

I'm making a little, mains powered, fan bank for under my laptop.
I've bought 2, 12V 0.2A 12cm fans and have an old 19V 2A laptop charger.
Is this too big a power supply?
I've never built anything like this before but I think I'll manage.
I'll be connecting the fans in parrallel.

Thanks

If you are unsuccessful with your attempt to build your own laptop cooling stand, or you build it and it's not up to par with what you wanted, might I suggest a pretty good one, it's already built for you as well.

Syba 15 inch to 17 inch laptop cooling riser stand....
http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Riser-Stand-Cooling-Laptop/dp/B0030B8EOK

This is the same one I've used for about 3-4 years now, it keeps my system pretty cool and hasn't let me down yet!

Good luck to you, if you do get it built do us a favor and take a photo of it and post it, I'm curious to what the end result will look like!

Sure I'll post a picture when it's built.

That cooler is a bit expensive at $32 but thanks anyway, it looks cool but mine will only cost $6 for the fans and then some spare parts.

I hope the supply doesn't burn out the fans...

Your fans are rated at .2 amps @12 volts, and you are pushing 19 volts into them. I'd guess the fans would spin very fast and make a bunch of noise and maybe draw around .3 amps which is well above their rated power. I'd guess that the fans won't last very long at that voltage.

I couldn't get it why we still need extra fans when laptops are designed to work safely without additional fans. Maybe, it the brand or model that is defining the problem. So, the next time we should buy better laptop that has no similar heating problem.

If you connect the fans in series, they should be okay (if a bit slower) as the higher resistance presented will limit the current to an acceptable level.

Back