Makita cordless coffee maker runs on power tool batteries

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Coffee shops like Starbucks have made it trivially easy to get your fix on the go but what if you’re out in the middle of nowhere or on a job site with no access to electricity to brew your own? Sure, you could rough it and use a campfire or other primitive methods but who has time for that?

With Makita’s latest cordless coffee maker, you can brew a fresh cup any time so long as you’ve got a battery handy.

The Makita CM501DZ is a cordless coffee maker that runs on the same batteries that power the company’s various lines of cordless power tools. It’s not the first cordless coffee maker from Makita – the DCM500Z is also in stock at retailers around the web – but this looks to be the latest, most refined version. There’s a product brochure (PDF) on Makita’s website but it’s mostly written in Japanese.

While not exactly a necessity, a gadget like this could be more useful than you think and could come in incredibly handy while out on a boat, during a picnic or even during extended power outages.

According to Asahi, the new model can make up to 5.3 cups of coffee on a single charge using an 18V battery. The unit weighs 1.5 kilograms and will set you back 11,900 yen, or around $112.

Permalink to story.

I don't drink coffee but not a bad idea. Can we expect one from DeWalt and Milwaukee I wonder?

I can see this becoming the new fashion amongst the trying-too-hard-personality-in-crisis set.
No post-ironic Apple-loving hipsters kitchen will be complete without a Makita coffee machine, a DeWalt kettle and a Snap-on Tools cutlery set.

I use 20V / 20 amp and 40V / 40 amp lithium ion batteries mostly on power tools and yard equipment. I've gone green since 2012 and still green in 2018. This idea could work but 18V not going to last too long. Today they have 56V / 56 amp lithium ion batteries of course these are huge 40V /40 amp ones are double the size of the 20V / 20 amp. I use those to power portable LED spot lights which and last 11 hours on fully charge 20V amp lithium ion battery. Would be nice if Vita-mix blenders could use these type of batteries too. I don't drink coffee either but frozen mocha I can because it has chocolate mixed with coffee. More like a frozen with whip cream.

Developed by tight pants men that think real men are going to use this
Real workmen in the UK drink tea more than coffee, might be more popular in the US though for construction workers, plumbers and electricians.

You know you are in the consumer First World when 5.3 cups of coffee cost $112+

I think the most attractive piece of this is that it heats the water, while you can do coffee with multiple non powered tools, it would be really hard to boil water in a picnic or in a boat unless you can get a fire somehow started (Maybe not in the boat!)

I use 20V / 20 amp and 40V / 40 amp lithium ion batteries mostly on power tools and yard equipment. I've gone green since 2012 and still green in 2018. This idea could work but 18V not going to last too long. Today they have 56V / 56 amp lithium ion batteries of course these are huge 40V /40 amp ones are double the size of the 20V / 20 amp. I use those to power portable LED spot lights which and last 11 hours on fully charge 20V amp lithium ion battery. Would be nice if Vita-mix blenders could use these type of batteries too. I don't drink coffee either but frozen mocha I can because it has chocolate mixed with coffee. More like a frozen with whip cream.
You know 20 and 18 volt are the same right?

[LEFT]
So consumers would only use it once?
all you need is something to heat water, I use a French press (no waste but coffee grounds) or if you wish one of those cone filter holders (only waste is the used paper filter). Simple, inexpensive. Cost is $20 or less and reusable.
This product undoubtedly has some situations where it might be useful, (@Kibaruk mentioned a boat) but with a little thought few people really need something like this or the high-priced home stuff. They sell much cheaper stuff for camping that does the same (fuel canister usually). My 2 cents worth
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]all you need is something to heat water, I use a French press (no waste but coffee grounds) or if you wish one of those cone filter holders (only waste is the used paper filter). Simple, inexpensive. Cost is $20 or less and reusable. [/LEFT]
This product undoubtedly has some situations where it might be useful, (@Kibaruk mentioned a boat) but with a little thought few people really need something like this or the high-priced home stuff. They sell much cheaper stuff for camping that does the same (fuel canister usually). My 2 cents worth
But that's not what I was talking about. I was addressing your comment that 5.3 cups of coffee costs $112 which is only true if you use it once.

Thing about boats is they usually have their own much larger battery. This would only be useful where a home, car, or boat is not option.

This looks like another one of those "must have" gadgets that people buy just to look modern, up-to-date, and cool. Most will end up sold cheaply at yard sales and Goodwill, and still rarely used.

Thing about boats is they usually have their own much larger battery. This would only be useful where a home, car, or boat is not option.
I believe you are referring to bigger more sophisticated boats, a paddle boat is a boat, a zodiac is a boat, almost anything that floats on water and holds people is considered a boat :p

I believe you are referring to bigger more sophisticated boats, a paddle boat is a boat, a zodiac is a boat, almost anything that floats on water and holds people is considered a boat :p
So you think someone not willing to use a boat big enough for a trolling motor, will be willing to lug around a cordless coffee maker? I'm almost willing to bet their priorities are to get a trolling motor before getting this coffee maker.

Back