Marriott will launch 'Homes & Villas' to compete with Airbnb

David Matthews

Staff member
The big picture: Airbnb has proven to be a disruptor in the traditional hotel market. Marriott is hoping to challenge that disruption by starting its own home sharing division that looks to merge the freedom of having your own kitchen with the services and safety of a hotel.

Marriott, the world's largest hotel chain, will be launching its own home sharing division according to reports from the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. This new division will be called 'Homes & Villas' and compete directly with the likes of Airbnb.

Homes & Villas will offer about 2,000 luxury properties around the world ranging from one bedroom homes to an Irish castle with the latter costing upwards of $10,000 per night. Marriott seems to be targeting a more high-end audience as even the aforementioned one bedroom would start at $200 per night.

Unlike Airbnb, customers who use Homes & Villas will have to stay three nights at minimum. Also, instead of simply getting a key from a home owner, Marriott will partner with rental management companies to ensure quality, consistency, and most importantly, safety.

Airbnb is no stranger to privacy and security issues. In 2015, an Airbnb guest was locked into the apartment he was staying and subjected to sexual assault by the host. Just earlier this year, a family discovered a hidden camera in their Airbnb rented home. Marriott's partnership with rental companies should help ensure that these horror stories don't happen while adding hotel-level services like housekeeping and Wi-Fi.

A 2018 study conducted by Chiara Farronato and Andrey Fradkin for the National Bureau of Economic Research found that among the 10 U.S. cities with the largest Airbnb market share, hotel revenue dropped 1.5 percent and resulted in 1.3 percent fewer booked hotel rooms. This proves that Airbnb has a measurable influence on the hotel market and could factor into Marriott's entry into the home sharing business.

Last year, Marriott partnered Hostmaker, a London-based rental management company, to conduct a pilot in 340 properties across Europe that will also serve as a model for the United States. Marriott found that people tended to stay much longer than a typical hotel and the idea of a larger living quarters with kitchens and laundry facilities was appealing.

There hasn't been an official announcement from Marriott so specific launch dates aren't available. While the prices will likely be higher than Airbnb, Marriott's strategy of merging hotel niceties with the space and freedom of a home may be enough to sway many potential guests.

Permalink to story.

I'm sorry but I travel a lot and anything over $125 a night is overpaying. That's over $45,000 a year revenue for nothing more than a room with a bed, bathroom, TV and average amenities. Anything above that is a foolish waste of money and at $10,000 a night, you seriously need your head examined!

I'm sorry but I travel a lot and anything over $125 a night is overpaying. That's over $45,000 a year revenue for nothing more than a room with a bed, bathroom, TV and average amenities. Anything above that is a foolish waste of money and at $10,000 a night, you seriously need your head examined!

Not true my friend. It depends on where you stay.

$125 USD barely keeps you in a Holiday Inn Express in Wanchai, HK, and in fact I've had to pay $200 on some nights just to be there due to demand.

I now usually stay at the Renaissance Harbour View, HK, and that runs me ~$225 USD, but my status gives me breakfast, exec lounge access, and exec lounge-floor-room (I.e. at the top).

I just got back from a month at a Crowne Plaza on the mainland, and it was running me $185 / night.

I would have loved a place with laundry facilities, as it was 20CNY just to launder ONE pair of boxer shorts.... that, I cannot expense. Imagine a whole weeks worth of shirts / pants etc. It soon adds up, and who wants to live / eat / sleep in the same room or small suite?

It's not for the ordinary traveler like you or me. It's specifically for high end folks and they can spend their money any way they want. It doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Back