Martial Arts, Parkour, etc.?

mopar man

This may be a long shot, but in the last few months, I've not been around a lot because I've been taking a break and doing a lot of physical stuff. Does anyone here study Martial Arts, if so, what? I'm learning what I learn from a friend who teaches an Aikijitsu class, and from reading/watching dvds, etc. I'm basically self taught.

I've also gotten into the, although controversial, fun art of Freestyle and Combat Nunchaku, and if you search "Chris Patterson nunchaku" you will find my video of my first time outside with them, and I used that video to increase my form and, in turn, speed.

I've been practicing Parkour in the recent months, though much slower. Any other Traceurs or Freerunners here?

I know, it probably is a long shot, but, hey, Techspot's brought much odder results. :p

I still have my Nunchakus and butterfly (thingy) and some good old fashion sharikens (or however you spell that)

It was fun once

Actually I'm trying to find a Bocken sword, all of mine broke

Ahh, Really?? Wow... you? Lol I'm just surprised, really. Yeah, Bokens can be bought at Amazon for a decent price.

See, I use real nunchaku because.. well, honestly, I'm training for the self-defense aspect. Mine are 14", wood, corded, but I'm going to get some 14" Cocobolo ones as soon as they offer it again at www.customworkshop.biz (i know, it looked fishy to me when I first went there, too. :p) but that's about $70-100 I don't have right now.

Well mine are real and all, but they have a small chain holding them together
It cost me $30 about 20 years ago ! But they (it) still looks new, ie I didn't hit anyone :D

Anyway, yes I got quite good too (back then) changing hands and all. Actually last year I got them out (for fun) and I can still do it all :approve:

Anyway they are illegal here, and I suppose US with guns and all, no one cares to outlaw them there for you guys

Ahh, that's not fun. Actually, in 4 states it is a Class 4 Felony (if I remember correctly) in Arizona, New York and 2 other states! :p Luckily I'm in Tennessee.

But yeah, chain is ok, my only issue with them is the noise they make.

Umm, I know you probably don't like giving information out, considering you don't even have specs, but what country do you live in if I may ask?

What were we talking about again? Hey this thread isn't computer related :haha:
Hey and you didn't reply about my butterfly kn... I got good at that too, now that's technique

Oh, the butterfly knife, right, I had one one time, but I would have cut my finger off. :p They are dangerous... lol. I like em though, they are cool.

People have called me ninja because I enjoy everything a ninja would, and I'm wanting some Shurikans now... XD

Yeah, I figured. I'm not really into the act of fighting like a ninja, I'm a mix breed. I want the honor code of the samurai without the sword. :X

You would like Karate in that case. Strong and lots of scary powerful stands

You should fight to survive (or win)
But yes this is the label of the Ninja, always in the shadows, with deception and no honor. Usually not requiring massive muscle. More flexibility (and stacks of work on hand grips)

Yes, I do fight to survive and win, and that suits me perfect... but the fact is, I just don't like deception. :p

I'm part of a free running group here in Michigan. Been spending a lot of time these last weeks working on my Kong Vault.

It looks like fun (free running/parkour) but I think I'm too old, I'd probably break something.

Really smash? The Kong is more scary than it is hard, I believe. I almost did it on accident when learning the monkey a long time ago. Now, though, I don't have anything stable enough to practice on. >>

You aren't too old SNGX, but, to start something as sometimes hardcore as PK and FR I would suggest you start slowly to get your body used to it. I honestly think 40 and under could start it easily, older may require more to get started though.

I have a lot of theories on MA, and most would end up cutting someone down, so I won't post them yet. I am honestly more of a practitioner of the JKD philosophy created by Bruce Lee.

Back