Mass Effect Legendary Edition is a remaster of the original trilogy launching in 2021

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? BioWare as part of its N7 Day celebration on Saturday announced a remastered version of the Mass Effect trilogy that is slated to launch in the spring of 2021 on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. The team has also been thinking about where it plans to take the franchise next.

In a blog post about the project, BioWare said it has spent many months updating the textures, models, effects, shaders and technical features of the three enormous games. The goal was never to remake or reimagine the original games, but rather, to modernize the experience so fans and new players could experience the original work in the best way possible.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition will consist of single-player base content and DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 plus things like promo weapons, armor kits and packs. Everything will be optimized for 4K Ultra HD resolution, we’re told.

BioWare said “forward compatibility and targeted enhancements” are also being worked on for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, with more information to be shared in the New Year.

BioWare additionally teased that it is working on the next chapter of the Mass Effect universe. The project is still in the early stages, the company said, adding that they can’t say anything more just yet but look forward to “sharing our vision for where we’ll be going next.”

Permalink to story.

I only played the initial release, but I could not get into this game. There were many paths to take, but if you didn't choose the proper order, your stats were not high enough to battle through the choice you made. I felt like I was often backtracking, just to find the correct sequence of missions to progress properly.

My heart sunk when I read that Casey Hudson is STILL at Bioware, and that he's involved in this barebones remaster effort. Hudson being the one who originally hyped the ending of the trilogy to be more than 3 color choices, and also had a large role in Anthem, another Bioware bomb. Get this guy out of here and I'll think about supporting Bioware again, but if he's on the roster I'm out.

This needed a remaster to be fair, might possibly be the last good thing to come out of Bioware at this rate.

The first game is pretty broken still as well, kinda looking forward to this.

This needed a remaster to be fair, might possibly be the last good thing to come out of Bioware at this rate.

The first game is pretty broken still as well, kinda looking forward to this.
Maybe I'm just starting to get old, but I actually prefer remasters at this point. Most games coming out these days are garbage and if they aren't garbage they're usually filled with microtransactions or loot boxes or whatever.

My heart sunk when I read that Casey Hudson is STILL at Bioware, and that he's involved in this barebones remaster effort. Hudson being the one who originally hyped the ending of the trilogy to be more than 3 color choices, and also had a large role in Anthem, another Bioware bomb. Get this guy out of here and I'll think about supporting Bioware again, but if he's on the roster I'm out.

He also worked on Anthem as well. Everything the guy touches turns to trash.

"Your choices. Your squad. Your Shepard. "

Choices that all boil down to a different color ending. The last game completely ruined the series.

Maybe I'm just starting to get old, but I actually prefer remasters at this point. Most games coming out these days are garbage and if they aren't garbage they're usually filled with microtransactions or loot boxes or whatever.
Indeed, I'm getting a little tired of hearing people say backwards compatibility is pointless and remasters.

What they don't understand is, old games tend to be better than most releases today.

They worked from day one, no crazy patches to make the game work. No cutting the game into pieces to sell DLC and no gambling (loot boxes). Fun gameplay was a priority, not how much money could be made.

My heart sunk when I read that Casey Hudson is STILL at Bioware...
He also worked on Anthem as well. Everything the guy touches turns to trash.
Do you reckon he plays through the first two games and is like "this is a bit too good, it needs to be more... Anthem, oh and everytime shepherd picks up a weapon, it needs to be randomised"...

I do hope he doesn't ruin it...

Last edited:
Do you reckon he plays through the first two games and is like "this is a bit too good, it needs to be more... Anthem, oh and everytime shepherd picks up a weapon, it needs to be randomised"...

I do hope he doesn't ruin it...
He already ruined it by being involved in the original Trilogy, the damage is done. What I think most of us were hoping for at the very least was an upgraded version of ME1, and we're not even getting that from what they've told us here. I wasn't expecting much from EA, and if they truly are going the path of only updating textures and resolution I'm just going to stick with my original PC versions and mod them to hell and back.

Will they optimise the inventory and combat systems across the 3 games? The UI can be atrocious.

Hopefully the learned from Mass effect Andromeda cause that game was so underwhelming...didn't belong in the Mass effect uniserse.

Back