Max hard drive capacity for Pavilion zd7000?

LeeRichLuck

Hi, i am trying to mend a friends laptop, the HD has packed in and i need to replace it.
The laptop is a HP Pavilion zd7000 the hd is a toshiba 80gig (lol) and i am just wondering what the max hd is i can put in it. I have seen these (below) but am unsure if it would be ok to install, i have no knowledge of laptop requirements like PSU demands etc so i need your help in getting the biggest HD affordable for this unit.
Here's the one's i have looked at based on dimentions...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155940
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158609

The original one is a Toshiba MK8026GAX and i think looking on the net its an IDE, its 9.5mm depth, the first one above is 9.4mm and the other 9.5mm so unsure if the first would fit being .1mm thinner ?

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Kindest regards,

Lee.

Hey, Hi Benny ;)
We will have to stop meeting like this lol lol so 120gig is the max then ?
I guess my first link is no good at 160gig ? why is that mate ? is it a power thing ?
Reading some of the replies to the link you kindly attached a few people use 160gig and one 320gig !! with no probs, do you think it was written when 160 plus drives were not common ?
Thanks for the help by the way pal ;)

How about this one then ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130338

I'm not following you around on purpose...Honest ;)

Lee said:
I guess my first link is no good at 160gig ? why is that mate ? is it a power thing ?

Nah mate. I've been having another scout around for you and I've spotted people using drives up to 500GB (so 120GB aint the max). It does seem quite a few people are asking the same thing you are, but there are loads of zd7000 users sitting in the "160GB" band.

Lee said:
Reading some of the replies to the link you kindly attached a few people use 160gig and one 320gig !! with no probs, do you think it was written when 160 plus drives were not common ?

Most likely bud. Those posts are only a few month back and the artical does look a tad worn :D

Lee said:
How about this one then ?

Looks fine mate. :)

You are a true diamond in the rough my wezzy mate ;p lol i am from east Yorks so we are practicaly family hahahah
I will go with that first link in my OP as it seems to be a favorite among reviewers.
Thanks again Benny, now i know your only a stones throw away i will buy you that beer one day pal :)
Top bloke ;)

lol...Aye matey, we're all family in yorkshire. (Wont be long before i'm in east yorks on a Brid holiday...lol)

Let me know how you get on fella :)

Hi pal, i got the new HD (160gig) and some more ram (2gig now) i have installed W7 and all is running pretty smooth.
I have only one problem to which i hope you can help with.... windows update cant find a proper nvidia driver for the graphics card so it has a generic vga one running at the mo, it allows the laptop to work but everytime i run a simple game like free cell for example it tells me my graphics card hasnt got hardware acceleration switch on and might not run properly, same goes for google earth, its a no no.... i have searched nvidia and cant find a driver so what can i do ?
I did a cpuz for you but it doesnt even tell you what graphics it has installed ?
So i'm a but stuck matey...
Help.......pleeeeaze ;p lol

Hi Lee,

So what comes up in the CPU-Z graphics section? is it just blank?

I've been having a look on HP's drivers and support page and the only OS's showing for the zd7000 are Windows 2000 and XP. However, after a scout around, I might have found something for you.

You should also know that the graphics on the zd7000 arn't really powerfull enough for Win 7 anyway mate, even with the correct drivers. Personally, I would have gone with XP.

Anyway, here's a driver that should be ok with Windows 7 ---> Here

Hi Benny, I tried the link and all it did was download and install i driver detective which didnt find a missing driver anyhow ?
I will uninstal it and wait for your advice....did i do something wrong ?
Cheers pal, if i cant sort it with your help i will put XPback on i think ;)

THanks mate, i got the HD and ram sorted as mentioned above, my problem now is a driver for the graphics card, windows 7 doesnt have one, niether does HP or nvidia ?
I am waiting for Benny to advise on his link but feel free to throw an idea in mate..;0
Cheers.

This is the cpuz graphics info matey ;)

Graphics
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of adapters 1

Graphic APIs

API NVIDIA I/O

Display Adapters

Display adapter 0
Name Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Revision A1
PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
Vendor ID 0x10DE (0x103C)
Model ID 0x031A (0x006A)
Performance Level 0

Oh, one of them bloody driver detectives. Sorry about that pal.

Everywhere i'm looking about the zd7000 just comes up with a Windows XP and Win 2000 only drivers mate. Maybe that's just as well because the graphics on board aint really powerfull enough for Windows 7. I think i'm right in saying the on board graphics has only 32mb of video memory...and that's really low for Win 7.

So it's looking like XP's the only real ticket mate...

This one has 128mb buddy ? i see about three or so different versions of GPU's for the zd7000 though, so i am unsure what to do, it is running w7 pretty good in basic mode, i wouldnt expect it to run aero lol, if you think i cant get a driver then i wll revert back to XP, shame though eh ;)

This one has 128mb buddy ? i see about three or so different versions of GPU's for the zd7000 though, so i am unsure what to do, it is running w7 pretty good in basic mode, i wouldnt expect it to run aero lol, if you think i cant get a driver then i wll revert back to XP, shame though eh ;)

Hmm...Yeah, even 128mb is still too low though for Win 7, in my opinion, and the most people around the net have been reporting Windows aero not working correctly.

I've had a good look around but i can't find anything for the zd7000 graphics that isn't either 2000 or XP...I suppose you could keep it on Win 7, but like you said, It can't run aero (and that's one of the best bit about Win 7).

Personally i'd take it back to XP...but it's up to you mate.

Yeah, that is the correct graphics card i've been looking for.

ok matey, thanks a bunch for the second pair of eyes. I appreciate your help ;)
Your a good-un mate, i will put XP back on and post back later.
Thanks again Benny :p

Formatting now.................. see you on the other side :p

Da Daaa !!!!! all done, reformatted, all drivers work, google earth works, games work, movies play...... and i actually like how 'silver' XP looks lol, days of old matey lol

Anyhow, just wanted to say yet another BIG THANKYOU to you Benny. Your a star and an asset to this forum. My friend wil be so chuffed with his now usable and better performing laptop.

KUDOS and mucho *** licks later lol,

Regards,

Lee.

Back