Maxed CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked around at some of the threads on this site, for an answer as to why my computer is doing this.

At the moment, my computer only does this occasionally after I bring it back from standby mode.

I am running the same processes as always, and any programs that I close that take up a lot of memory do not do any thing. And my computer can normally handle many programs but never does this.

I am currently running a virus scan, but I was wondering if there is anything else that can cause this.

I also recently installed a new battery to my laptop, and before I did that, I don't remember this problem ever happening.

Thanks for any help.

(also, as a side note: I'm currently using AVG free, and when I try to update my definitions, the program just sits there for a long time, and doesn't do anything, except say "checking for updates".)

Standby: checkpoints all running processes in RAM so they may be activated when the system resumes.
Memory must be kept 'active', so standby will drain a laptop battery.

Hibernation: checkpoints all running processes to a file for use when the system resumes.
No memory is used so full hardware shutdown saves the battery.

The CPU usage upon resumption of the system occurs due to moving the MEMORY
checkpoints back into the pagefile, so the system can operate again.
The number (and size) of the processes will determine how long it takes -- and the CPU requirements to complete it.

I have seen your symptom before (on my laptop) and after heavy scrutiny, concluded this is a non-issue.
[btw: my system is/has been clean for years]

thanks for your help mate. I'll most likely use hibernate more often now.

I've been using standby because it always loads much faster.

Hi Guys

Avg has been having update issues of late!

But Malware can also try to disable Virus scanners and cause the other symptoms you spoke of.

I advise you do the below to be sure:

Do the TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Do all skip no step (do not install another virus scanner as you already have one).

Most importantly update MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSptware!

Before you scan with either modified configs below do the below:

SuperAntispyware config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

It asks to update the program definitions, click Yes.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure all boxes are checked except #3 Ignore System Restore.

In MalwareBytes after update but before running
Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

Run them and post their logs then a new HJT log.

Do this correctly and we will make a short job of this!

thanks for the help.

I probably won't post the logs though. I'm currently in the middle of cleaning up my computer. Got some loose ends and old programs to delete as well. And after that, scan again.

Then wait until you can post logs!! We (the Malware fighters on this board) are already working mostly in the blind.

Don't blind us completely!

We would like an initial HJT log before any Malware is repaired.

HJT saves its last scan. MBAM and SAS save all logs by date and time. If you have already used them then send us the logs from oldest to newest.

Mike

I'm not too sure about using HJT, I majorly messed up my last computer with that program, good thing I back up all my files every 2 months...

As for MBAM:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1414
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/20/2008 10:22:02 PM
mbam-log-2008-11-20 (22-22-02).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 195749
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 51 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BprintingHost.Serv (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\h@tkeysh@@k.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\PictureSaver.scr (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

As for the backdoor.bot from "Picturesaver", that program was added to my computer just this week, and the problem has been happening for almost a month.

And I don't have time for SAS tonight, and might not get to it tomorrow as I have too much to do then.

I'm sorry to keep you waiting on this. And for being stubborn

Its your computer go at your own speed.

You won't mess up anything with HJT as I will be guiding you and I know how to fix them and how not to mess up with HJT!

OK when you can, reboot then run SAS and ATTACH not paste the logs.

Then run MBAM again as it fixed things in one pass and may have exposed more that the first pass never even saw!

Mike

Here is the log file from SAS

I might not get to that other thing today, as it takes like 2 hours for me.

So essentially I just quarantined/deleted those files that it detected.

DO NOT use Ccleaner's registry cleaner in step 2. You'll only end up damaging your machine, and these things do no good whatsoever.

DO NOT use Ccleaner's registry cleaner in step 2. You'll only end up damaging your machine, and these things do no good whatsoever.

too late... I did that a while back, besides, I used a guide on what function does what, so all my ccleaner functions are set so that anything I do won't delete any crutial files. I have not had any problems as I have done it before, usually once every 6 months.

You did right Sparks and we are going to do it again when we get you clean. Especially CCleaner it is the gentlest and safest of all Reg cleaners.

Make sure to update SAS (new update out today)

Waiting for last (I hope SAS Log).

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back